The Citizens' Report
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2019, 06:40:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25279 Posts in 4029 Topics by 320 Members
Latest Member: SMW
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The Citizens' Report
|-+  South Carolina
| |-+  Georgetown County SC
| | |-+  Politics and Current Events
| | | |-+  What happened to the teacher sex allegations?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What happened to the teacher sex allegations?  (Read 3131 times)
Marty Tennant
Administrator

« on: January 12, 2010, 07:38:25 PM »

I remember hearing about a local teacher that allegedly engaged in inappropriate sexual relations with a student.  I recall it was in the paper.  What happened?  I recall the word on the street was that it was a relative of a local elected official.

Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.
Marty Tennant
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 08:31:38 PM »

Here is the Times article.

http://www.gtowntimes.com/search/WHS-tecaher-accused-of--inappropriate-relationship--with-a-student

Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.
Lee Padgett

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 09:10:17 PM »

I tried to get some clarification on this very subject today. All I was told was that it is a personnel matter ( ie to protect the guilty) and that her husband has left her and she resigned. So basically this teacher pulls a Mary Kay Letourneau and walks. What about the student and his rights?

"The death of objectivism and small government can be attributed to emotional politics." Liberty Laura
Marty Tennant
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 10:06:19 PM »

What about criminal violations of law?

GTOWN BUSINESS OWNER

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 09:40:22 AM »

There will be no criminal charges.  The student was above the age of consent in South Carolina and was a willing participant in the activities.  This is however against the school policy and the teacher will either be fired or forced to resign I would think. 

Although morally wrong to be sleeping with your students if they are above the age of consent, it is not a criminal act.  But you can get fired over it.

GBO
Marty Tennant
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 01:24:22 PM »

Thanks to the person that provided me with the details on this.  Yes, there is a divorce going on and yes, a local elected official would be embarrassed to have the facts be public.  Family values and all, you know ;-)

equalizer

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 01:32:04 PM »

Marty, here is a good opportunity for you to practice what you preach. I have seen posting after posting blasting the papers for not reporting what they know about Mr. Charlton. Now, you have information about an elected official's family that you are not posting.
Marlinz

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 01:45:46 PM »

The "details" about this incident don't necessarily involve this elected official directly. Further, I don't think pushing their involvment would 1. help the situation, or 2. do any justice for the person.

“There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.”
Marlinz

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 01:50:34 PM »

And no it wasn't me who provided the scoop to Marty.  Lips Sealed

“There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.”
Marty Tennant
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 01:51:27 PM »

Equalizer, you are such a shill for the Georgetown Times.  Please, go lurk and agitate elsewhere.  You are such a pain.

I agree.  This is not a direct deal for the elected official.  I feel sorry for the husband, but I still find it ironic that the family values we were fed didn't hold so well.

equalizer

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 02:20:49 PM »

Not a shill, I'm just nosey.
JUSTIFIED

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 04:19:11 PM »

I agree.  This is not a direct deal for the elected official.  I feel sorry for the husband, but I still find it ironic that the family values we were fed didn't hold so well.
I don't think that they were trying to "feed" us anything.   This was not a planned event; I think that the whole family were probably taken by surprise.   And I am sure that the family is seeing a lot more hurt and sadness than they are irony.  It has to be pretty tough to lose a wife and a best friend at the same time, especially when you're doing everything that you can possibly do to try and make your wife happy, bending over backwards to satisfy her every whim; only to be gutted with a sucker punch to the groin!!!

"He who has nothing to say, should refrain from giving wordy evidence of the fact."-Unknown
"It is better to sit silently and be thought a fool,
than to speak and remove all doubt."-Unknown
PBSIAT

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 06:59:04 PM »

It has to be pretty tough to lose a wife and a best friend at the same time, especially when you're doing everything that you can possibly do to try and make your wife happy, bending over backwards to satisfy her every whim; only to be gutted with a sucker punch to the groin!!!

Maybe she couldn't put up with the hazing from her husband? You know he was thrown out of the Citadel for hazing cadets in the middle of the night and all. Best friend? Who are you kidding?
corruption watcher

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 01:37:59 PM »

Did you know the Georgetown Times has removed this story from their archives even now? I guess Paige does still have some power? Georgetown where the truth does not matter.
PBSIAT

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2019, 07:53:15 AM »

I ran into Paige Swyer's former daughterinlaw in Charleston. After she got through telling me how the sawyers are such huge hypocrites she told me about the money she got from keeping her mouth shut and divorcing the loud mouth Phillip. There is a lot more to the story that unfortunately the vast majority of people in Georgetown will never know. Including incidents of other illegal and immoral behavior.
TimArmstrong

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 10:59:26 AM »

How could they afford to pay her off? They aren't/weren't well to do.....unless I'm missing something. Also, you're just going to give us a tease or are you going to tell us what some of the other things are?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: