Author Topic: Real enforcement  (Read 1941 times)

Upstate dweller

Real enforcement
« on: August 26, 2006, 01:53:12 PM »
I don't live in Georgetown any more but I enjoy coming here to read the truth and what really is going on. Here is a story from Spartanburg about an issue still going on there in Georgetown. I don't think Paige the racist Sawyer would last two seconds in the upstate.
We don't cater to racists up here.

County to begin enforcing roadside signs ordinance
MONICA MERCER, Staff Writer
Published August 26, 2006

Local News Headlines
County to begin enforcing roadside signs ordinance
Young-at-heart volunteers set pace at Mobile Meals
Inmate threatens Gowdy, family
Local Sports Headlines
Spartanburg pounds Union
Aiken handles Dorman
Gaffney bad, good, lucky in victory
Top AP Headlines
Defying U.N., Iran Opens Nuclear Reactor
Israel Seeks Troops From Muslim Nations
Uganda, Rebels to End 19-Year Conflict
Drivers and pedestrians see the signs everywhere, advertising everything from Internet dating to housecleaning to cheerleader tryouts.

It's a cheap form of communication, especially for the small-business owner, said Ron Owens of Honey-Do Home Maintenance, but it's about to get expensive as Spartanburg County prepares to finally enforce the 1987 ordinance that makes most of the signs illegal.

"The tickets will start at $258 and could go up to $465," said Don Arnold, director of the Spartanburg County Environmental Enforcement Department.

The ordinance states that only political, church directional and temporary real estate signs may be placed in the road rights of way. Even then, those signs cannot go up more than 90 days before an event and must be taken down no more than 10 days after.

Arnold admitted that most people probably are not aware of the law governing signs because the county has never effectively enforced it.

Owens certainly didn't. Aware that such signs are not allowed within Spartanburg city limits, he said he always thought that unincorporated Spartanburg County was fair game.

"We're going to give people the benefit of the doubt," County Administrator Glenn Breed said. But by October, county law enforcement officers will be "out in force" taking down signs and issuing tickets, Breed said.

Owens expressed concern that the county might go after the little-business guys and ignore political signs that linger long after elections.

"There are political signs that stay up for months," Owens said. "I mean, give me a break."

Breed said the county intended to hold every person responsible for their signs as far as the ordinance is concerned.

That makes Duncan resident Ann Mambretti feel a bit better. Arnold said the county's newfound vigilance came in part from the countless calls from Mambretti and others complaining of how the signs create traffic hazards by blocking views.

The South Carolina Department of Transportation's Resident Maintenance Engineer Fred Fleming confirmed that visibility is certainly diminished at intersections sprinkled with signs. He said the signs also make it difficult to do routine maintenance such as mowing.

Yet the biggest complaint by far, Arnold said, was that the signs deteriorate to the point of becoming nothing more than litter when people forget about them.

Since the beginning of August, Arnold and other staff members have collected more than 3,000 signs from across the county.

One was for a consignment sale at the Spartanburg Expo Center that ended in March. Some are completely unprofessional, such as a handwritten one with the word "housecleaning" and a phone number. Others, like the ubiquitous Internet dating signs, are sleek, but happen to be on almost every street corner lately.

All, said Mambretti, are "ugly and a nuisance."

Mambretti, who moved here two years ago, said she never saw such sign clutter when she was living in her native state of New York.

She said she loves living in Spartanburg County, but questions the use of an ordinance designed to make the community look so much better if it's never enforced.

"You've got this motto, 'beautiful places,' but the bottom line is, they're not being taken care of," Mambretti said. "(County officials) need to put their noses to the grindstone."

Monica Mercer can be reached at 562-7215 or monica.mercer@shj.com.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
    • Marty Tennant the PC Doctor
Re: Real enforcement
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 02:50:39 PM »
Quote:

The ordinance states that only political, church directional and temporary real estate signs may be placed in the road rights of way. Even then, those signs cannot go up more than 90 days before an event and must be taken down no more than 10 days after.

+++++++++++

They are not following state law.  State law only allows church signs in the ROW, which is probably illegal.  Political and real estate signs do not have a carve-out exception.
Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.