Author Topic: Economic Development  (Read 7329 times)

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
    • Marty Tennant the PC Doctor
Economic Development
« on: July 12, 2006, 09:17:31 AM »
I was out on Highmarket going to Bobby's Appliances to pickup a washer part this morning (thanks for being there Bobby) and noticed some economic development activity that wasn't noted in the Georgetown Times.

The old Adelphia Cable building is now a Title/Payday advance loan business.

Yes folks, we have another job building enterprise located right here in the City of Georgetown.  We should do a count of the number of these outfits that have opened here in the last several years.  It seems like we have a new one every month or so.

We can thank the All America County designation for this increase in business activity.  Thanks to all that helped.  Can't you just feel the pride?
Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.

No jobs here

Re: Economic Development
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 10:12:25 AM »
We will never have real economic development until the union is abolished and the good old boys are out of power. Don't look for either to happen during this generation.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 11:49:14 AM by Jack Aubrey »

afdip

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 02:35:55 PM »
oooo-h, is that throbbing feeling i get when i drive past the check cashing/title loan companies pride?  gee, i was hoping for something more meretricious, even basic.  still, coming from the hysterical district, should i expect more than this????

How do you do

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 07:34:04 PM »
Well Marty actually that  business moved from five points beside bakers paint and glass. The auto glass place moved in the back portion of aldephia. They  were at that location for over a year. I believe they had to move because CVS is building a new store there. I don't know where the dry cleaner moved to.
LLMF any one care to guess what these letters stand for

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 07:55:57 PM »
We thank you for the clarification.  So we really didn't get any new loan sharks.  Dang, and I thought all those flags meant something.
Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.

reguest

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 08:47:36 PM »
Its not a new business. Just relocated. Wanna bet the city and county counted them a new jobs though?

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 09:17:08 PM »
And then I noticed that the Rebar was closed the other day.  Can't even keep a steel worker's bar going in this town.

Ilya Kuryakin

• Pro-management union buster
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 11:40:48 PM »
It didn't close down because it didn't make money.  The Rebar was very profitable (and a safe place to drink cheap beer).

The owner of the Rebar is a friend of mine and I can promise you that he shut down the bar because he got tired of dealing with drunks and because he made an assload of cash selling the building and the land.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 06:13:16 AM »
Now that's interesting.  Why open a working class bar if you don't want to deal with drunks?

Ilya Kuryakin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 06:46:39 AM »
He wasn't prepared to handle Georgetown drunks.  They didn't like his smart yankee mouth and he took a couple good ass whippings as a result.  He even lost part of his right thumb.  I would have sold the property too.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 06:49:10 AM »
I love it.  Georgetown drunks are worse than yankee drunks.  Lost part of a thumb.  YIKES.  Sharks and drunks.  If one don't getcha, the other will.

afdip

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 09:11:26 AM »
anatomically speaking, where must one's thumb be placed to lose it in an ass whipping?? 

Ilya Kuryakin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 09:14:36 AM »
I don't know which kind of drunks are worse.  I think the yankees are slightly more annoying because of their accent.  That always turns me off.  I have a hard time being in the same room with yankees.  Just like our illegal Mexican friends, they need to learn the language.

About the thumb- Good question, afdip.  Half of it was bitten off by a drunk redneck.  I don't know all the details of the fight, but there was plenty of wanton violence.

Goofingoffatwork/Surfer

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 09:54:49 AM »
Sometimes our Yankee friends have to learn the hard way, what any self-respecting Southern bartender was "born knowin' " -- you have to keep those jars of pickled eggs and pigs feet at the ready, and throw them out amidst the wanton violence, at the appropriate time.

Really -- this is covered in Southern Bartending 101, and the Yankee wasn't paying attention, apparently, or thought NYC bartending rules applied here...