Author Topic: Real local news for the South end  (Read 4476 times)

AM listener

Real local news for the South end
« on: July 16, 2006, 09:16:09 AM »
Live disc jokeys and real local news. Now that is what we needed on the south end for a long time now. Thank you Dave Solomon.

Posted on Sun, Jul. 16, 2006email thisprint thisreprint or license this
SURFSIDE BEACH AIRWAVES
Disc jockey has high hopes for new station
By Paul Nelson
The Sun News
SURFSIDE BEACH - Before it makes any sort of splash with listeners at the beach and specifically on the South Strand, a fledgling AM radio station needs some fine tuning.

The low-power transmitters that will allow Surfside 1640 XSUR to ultimately reach more of its targeted 18 to 49 audience must still be tested.

Station owner Dave Solomon, 40, who went on the air with the 100-milliwatt station from a the second-floor studio at his South Poplar Drive town house on June 11, hopes to have his disc jockeys live instead of on tape. He plans to bring them to the area.

Solomon will soon transition the operations into leased office space along U.S. 17 Business.

There are other signs of progress, too.

Three advertisers have signed on, and the station's Web site lists a small staff that includes a news director and operations manager.

There are also eight disc jockeys, including Solomon, with the music station.

The veteran radio man insists he is not in it for the money. He recently sold a station he owned in the Lumberton, N.C., area.

He also does voice-over work and has worked as operations manager for Cumulus Broadcasting Inc. as a program director for Sunny 106.5.

Instead, he said, he is aiming to bridge a '70s and '80s music gap he believes isn't being filled by other stations on the South Strand and parts of Georgetown County.

He plans on doing that by focusing heavily on local news, weather, public service announcements and getting out into the community.

He aims, as he put it, for "total saturation of the South Strand," which he says is currently "under-served."

Until the transmitters go up and are able to reach homes within a 14-mile radius, the station is relying almost exclusively on its live Internet radio stream at www.surf side1640.com.

"We're not drive-time," Solomon said. "We're what people turn on and leave on and then turn off when they leave work."

Surfside Beach Mayor Roy Hyman Jr. said he is vaguely familiar with the station and believes it would be an excellent way to promote local activities and events in the town.

One of Solomon's disc jockeys, Chuck Matthews, is currently in Toledo, Ohio. He said he jumped at the opportunity to join the station because of the beach weather.

He also previously worked with Solomon at a now-defunct station in Raleigh, N.C.

Matthews, who does the 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. slot on Surfside 1640, described his friend's programming philosophy as "slick, well-produced sounding radio that you would hear at major markets." He says the key to success for Surfside 1640 is to be as local as possible.

"That will get you further than anything else because you can't have a syndicated show and talk about local issues," he said.

"You can't be everything to everybody so you have to super-serve the locals and they, most oftentimes, will embrace you."

AM Fan

Re: Real local news for the South end
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 12:21:21 PM »
Look Out Milt. You have some competition

afdip

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 01:08:53 PM »
for my money, the death knell of am radio was sounded many years ago.  how many people, really,  still listen to am radio these days?

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
    • Marty Tennant the PC Doctor
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 01:51:20 PM »
WTMA in Charleston (1250?) is AM and does well.  They have a large listener base, particularly to their morning call-in program.  This is the station where I heard about the Moncks Corner planners' death at the hands of an illegal alien.
Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.

m

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 04:10:14 PM »
Look Out Milt. You have some competition
If you are talking about that loser freak that works at Ryans, you must be kidding. There aren't three people in this county that listens to that moron. He came to my table one time just going on and on about his show. I tuned it in once and heard something that sounded like a drunk raving lunatic screaming into the microphone. He is just stupid.

Me too

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 07:13:05 PM »
The WTMA AM station out of Charleston is great. You can hear it clearly. They have real talk shows and news. Not like that sorry excuse of a station WGTN we have here in Georgetown. The owner of that station is broke and cannot afford to put any decent programing on. Heck he has a tape deck wired up to play those same tired songs over and over.