Author Topic: Same crime with jail time  (Read 2148 times)

conservative group

Same crime with jail time
« on: March 20, 2009, 10:09:47 AM »
First thanks to the group who showed up. Yes we have many notes requesting to join our group. We will probably not add anyone for a while to let this group gel. And sending hateful accusatory notes WILL NOT GET TOD invited ever.

Now about this morning. We talked about several topics but the one getting the most attention was the injustice done this week for the Whites. These two women stole money from poor people and were allowed to walk off with only probation. Now that clearly drew everyone's attention and we all committed to calling the solicitor's office and attorney general's office and complain. We all agreed the calls will probably not change anything but it might make them think twice about letting someone like that off again.

The interesting thing was a news clip someone brought in about a similar case from the State Paper. The story is posted below but here was another woman that used the credit card from Financial Services for Family Service Center to purchase personal items. The same thing the Whites did exactly. This group was designed to support people by helping with credit skills and employment building skills just like the group the Whites had. The lady was the director of the group just like Buleah White was. The difference here is the lady must repay the money she took and serve 2 years and 3 months in jail for the same crime the whites commtted. We all agree this was justice not served.

The group also agreed the difference seems to be the other lady is not associated with Congressman James Clyburn. We were unable to find out if she is white or black though. If anyone knows her race it would be interesting to know.

Friday, Mar. 20, 2009
Charity embezzler sentenced to prison
A Columbia woman previously convicted of racking up hundreds of thousands of dollars' worth of personal charges on her employer's credit cards has been sentenced to 2 years, 3 months in prison for the crime.

Wanda Y. Martin, 39, was convicted in federal court of wire fraud and was sentenced this week. In addition to the prison time, she must pay $342,991 back to Financial Services for Family Service Center, the The U.S. Attorney's Office in Columbia said.

Martin was the director of the nonprofit group when she used its cards to make personal purchases, then paid the bills from FSC accounts. FSC offers teen pregnancy support, children's dentistry, consumer credit counseling and employment skills building.

tcb

Re: Same crime with jail time
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 11:13:37 AM »
Everybody allalong said that nothing would come of this.Again its who you know or who you are (O. J), Yes even white or black.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
    • Marty Tennant the PC Doctor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 11:43:52 AM »
Interesting parallel there.

Why don't you concentrate on calling the U.S. District attorney's office and getting them to prosecute the Whites?  That is what happened in the Columbia case, right?

Just a suggestion.
Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.

Marlinz

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 12:43:53 PM »
While that idea is of good intentions, it won't likely fly. When the Judge ruled to dismiss some of the evidence because of the stamp issue, it left little to no leg for prosecution to stand on. This is a big reason the White's received the sentences they did.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have seen these women wear the County's finest of orange uniforms, but unfortunately, precedent has been set. And you can expect a similar outcome in the event it happens again.
“There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.”

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
    • Marty Tennant the PC Doctor
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 12:59:55 PM »
So are you saying because Greg Hembree's office screwed up by issuing tainted subpoena's instead of search warrants, the U.S. Attorney's office wouldn't be able to bring federal charges?  Seems to me they are two different things.
Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.

Marlinz

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 02:09:58 PM »
Yes, Marty that is correct, they are two different things. My thoughts seemed to run together on the last, and didn't mean to cause confusion. The Feds can easily obtain documents that weren't admissible this go round, but the likelihood of federal charges is slim.
“There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.”

conservative group

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 02:46:46 PM »
I have already made the appropriate phone call to the district attorney's office and I am sure the rest of our group will do the same. I encourage others to do the same. Thanks for the suggestion Marlinz.

One other thought. Someone pointed out that there were few responses to our issue last week and wanted to say no one cared. The question is did we make people think? A lot of people read this site and never post for a number of reasons. Those people were reached by our issue and we caused people to stop and consider. Unlike the lies printed in that local rag some people think is a newspaper.

concernedperson

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 10:04:54 AM »
The Sun News has a article today reporting the IRS has taken the property the Whites had to build a community center on. Wasn't that property the county council gave them? Why did the county council not just take the property back? What we really need to know and I doubt we ever will is who is tied to who and why everyone is protecting the criminals? I think the truth would unravel so many corrupt people in this county we might actually get a chance at success?