Author Topic: Steel Mill closing?  (Read 12373 times)

lowcountry_man

Steel Mill closing?
« on: May 06, 2009, 09:47:32 PM »
Rumor has it, this may be it for the mill??   The union supposedly voted today on a plan that company officials submitted them with many concessions in order to keep the doors open.  They were warned if it wasn't accepted then  this may be "it"...  Well it was voted down! Guess we will know more in the next few days.......

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
    • Marty Tennant the PC Doctor
Re: Steel Mill closing?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:08:43 AM »
thanks for joining and for your first post.  we welcome insider info and heads up notices - the local papers thank you too. ;D
Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.

concernedperson

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 09:27:16 PM »
Where is Jamie Sanderson? He has gone silent again. How did you vote Jamie? YOu are always real talkative here and on the other sites I read like the Wolfe Report. But now Jamie is no where. Jamie is the steel mill done? Did the vote happen? Jamie?

Georgetown Democrat

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 06:43:23 AM »
No, I am here. I voted yes. The steel mill is not "done" people.

ETFOG

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 01:33:42 PM »
Oh MY! An answer to prayers? Jamie has spent so much time on the internet bashing me I can't wait until he has more free time to bash me cause he has no job. Can we start a fund to pay for Jamie's moving costs to get him out of town? I donate 20 bucks.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 04:54:02 PM »
while I welcome such posts from the original poster, I will say that I've heard the same thing so many times from so many sources, it has gotten to be like the little boy that cries wolf.  nobody seems to believe it anymore.  maybe times are different.  who knows.  Jamie, was there a vote recently?
Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.

Georgetown Democrat

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 07:47:47 PM »
There was a vote presented to the membership to accept concessions. I am not at liberty to discuss in detail
what those where/are. I can tell you I voted yes to accept concessions to avoid a temporary idling of the mill.

The no's won, however. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see, now won't we.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 08:15:22 AM »
Thanks for the update Jamie.  How long do you give the mill, particularly in light of China's effort to take over the steel industry?

lowcountry_man

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
It is my understanding from inside sources that if the mill shuts down this time, its for good and not a temporary "idling".   Management laid out the concessions needed in order to survive, and this would modify be for 3 years.   They were warned that this would likely be the only offer, and if they didn't accept it,  well......  they voted,  and  it was rejected...  Looks like a job, making less money with less benefits would be better than no job at all in this town....  Not a smart decision union guys.....

Georgetown Democrat

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 01:40:39 PM »
Truth: Both sides are still talking. Marty, China can't touch what ArcelorMittal has built.

ETFOG

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 04:38:19 PM »
I don't know which is more funny. Jamie saying both sides are "still talking" or watching Paige Sawyer sing "na-na-na hey hey hey GOODBYE" about the mill closing. Yea, I guess the Paige song was funnier.

Jamie maybe your daddy can get a job with the county since your daddy is a councilman. Shoot that didn't work out so well either.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 08:18:59 PM by Marty Tennant »

Georgetown Democrat

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 10:07:55 PM »
What's really funny is the fact your rhetoric gets Marty in the editing mood.  ;)

IWCCTTT

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 09:15:37 AM »
Jamie do you and James feel just a little betrayed? You two worked out those deals with the Charlatan and now look where you are. The council seat is not going to happen. The mill is about to shut down again. And all those illegal aliens are still employed at those same businseses. He didn't run for mayor and James won't be endorsed for county council. The mill is doomed and he didn't get them that tax break he promised. The illegals still work for him and that other place and he didn't get rid of his or force the other business to remove them. Just how does it feel to be screwed that badly?

Georgetown Democrat

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 02:35:17 PM »
I didn't work out any deal with any person. Furthermore, I am not "screwed" as you put it. Have a good day.

ETFOG

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 09:43:17 PM »
NO I imagine the littlest shamderson is not screwed. He and daddy will land on their union feet somewhere after the mill closes. That's how the union works. The union bosses and their inners circle always ends up keeping their jobs while the dues paying members get screwed.

Georgetown Democrat

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 01:05:34 AM »
The union bosses and their inners circle always ends up keeping their jobs while the dues paying members get screwed.

According to who?

iceman

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 08:40:21 AM »
I have seen it myself, after the mill laid off several people the summer before the mill closed, I passed the union hall and you were cutting the grass. It ticked me off because no one else from the mill was offered that work and we could have used that money as well. That grass cutting job paid pretty decent.
Protect your gun rights, spay or neuter idiots that know nothing about firearms or hunting. (Changed just for you J.S., is this a little better?HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA)

Georgetown Democrat

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 12:47:12 PM »
It was it one time, iceman. I will not get into details of why I needed the money, but it wasn't permanent.
Instead of riding by and getting mad like you did, you could have stopped and asked my father about it,
right? And how long ago was that? There were a lot of hurt feelings back then, even mine. I asked my father
for one thing. Forget the past and move on.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 12:56:44 PM by Jamie Sanderson »

iceman

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 02:18:02 PM »
Just proving a point and I believe others see my point. I am finished now.
Protect your gun rights, spay or neuter idiots that know nothing about firearms or hunting. (Changed just for you J.S., is this a little better?HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA)

Georgetown Democrat

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 06:08:23 PM »
And what point was that? That you stick on the past? If so, then you accomplished that. We are finished. I answered
truthfully.

ETFOG

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 08:57:49 PM »
Jamie why are you having so much trouble with truth? Oh, you are a SHAMDERSON!

Jamie you hid behind the name Georgetown Democrat. Many times you were asked to come clean and talk publically. People even said you were a sanderson and you LIED and said you were a retired older person. YOU LIED and refused to go public. Now you attack us for being anonymous.

Jamie you were called out when the workers senior to you were not called back when you got your job back in front of them. It went so far as to you having to be laid off again. The Iceman pointed out the truth to you and you did your usual "that was the past get over it" routine. Pure BS Jamie. You and your daddy have screwed the ordinary union man over and over. You have been proven to be a liar over and over. Go ahead and attack me and send me private messages threatening to cut my tires. I'm not scared of you. But I sure do scare you because I know the truth and tell it. If you knew who I am it would shock you and you would have daddy give me something to shut me up. Ain't gonna happen. I can't be bought off.

Georgetown Democrat

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 07:47:12 AM »
And to think going overboard with falsehoods about me couldn't get any worse... This person proves me wrong.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 01:18:08 PM »
Scott Harper says the mill is shut indefinitely on the Times website.  Sorry to see this happen.

lowcountry_man

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 05:28:13 PM »
The Mill will not be closing  until July 12th, so the paper says, and will remain closed until further notice....     

Georgetown Democrat

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 06:11:04 PM »
I wonder whether the people who voted no still think it's a hoax or a bluff now? I wonder whether the advice from the union president to vote yes mattered to them? At least 50 people weren't fooled. But, unfortunately, it wasn't enough. The spokesman was asked whether the vote mattered - he didn't respond. I will. It mattered greatly.

Putting all BS aside, please pray for the young workers who have families, just had a child and those who aren't really sure about what to do know.

This is a job I came back to town after college for because I couldn't stand being at a desk. I enjoyed my summers there while in school because it paid for my following year of college. I love this kind of work. It's my choice to be there. It's my choice to suffer the consequences.

It is unfortunate to have so many people out there hate this profession and hate the mill itself. I couldn't fathom myself hating people for being an accountant or an insurance salesman or a car dealer. Again, whatever floats their boats.

I, on the other hand, will hold my head up high along with others because we are proud to be called steelworkers. God bless them all.

JUSTIFIED

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 07:03:16 PM »
Truly a sad state of affairs. 
Those concessions that the workers were asked to vote on don't seem that bad now!
How is it that people keep thinking that they can hold a gun to their employer's head?  Just as it was when Daniel Thorne warned against a strike, this was no bluff!
They should have voted to accept the concessions.  Giving a little (or even a lot) isn't as bad as not having a job. 
I'm sure that there are some who are going to try and act all cocky and say things like they are glad, or they would rather be out of work than give in to the company; but that's a pile of crap!
I was taught that HALF OF SOMETHING is a heck of a lot better than ALL OF NOTHING!!!
Pride and haughtiness will not put one ounce of groceries on the table, and it sure as heck won't keep the REPO-MAN out of your yard.
To all of the workers that voted to accept the company's concessions and keep your job, I extend unto you my deepest sympathy and my sincere prayers that you soon find a new (and better) job.
"He who has nothing to say, should refrain from giving wordy evidence of the fact."-Unknown
"It is better to sit silently and be thought a fool,
than to speak and remove all doubt."-Unknown

Specter

• A Victim has the right to fight back.
    • Grapes of Wrath
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2009, 08:33:49 PM »
The Obama administration avoided a trade fight with China last month when it decided against formally labeling Beijing as a currency manipulator, despite Obama's statements during last year's campaign that it was.

Meanwhile, China's use of export taxes to depress domestic prices of wire rod and inputs used to make finished goods "has become a colossal headache for USA and we're struggling to find the right remedy," the second government official said.

The practice gives Chinese companies a cost advantage in producing many goods, creating a problem for many small U.S. producers who don't have the resources to file an anti-dumping or countervailing duty case asking for relief, he said.

http://americaneconomicalert.org/news_item.asp?nid=3776992

I wish ya’ll the best of luck I hate to see the steel mill close. We’ve got to get rid of the Globalist.
Washington D.C. is Terrorist head quarters. Globalist Politics
Illegal Labor and Illegal Labor practices are but some of their weapons.
New World Order Lovers. SATAN’s PAWNS burn baby burn.

JUSTIFIED

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2009, 09:17:07 PM »
I have heard a few "democrats can do no wrong-we love Obama" misinformed individuals blaming  Bush for the current state of this nations economy; however I firmly believe that it can be traced back to December 8, 1993.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the significance of this date, this was the day that the great Bill Clinton signed NAFTA into law.
 He had a good run convincing the masses that the great economy (which can be accredited to Reaganomics) was created (almost overnight) by him; however I think that time will show that the signing of NAFTA has done more to destroy this nation's economy than a hundred wars.

You cannot build a grand economy in a day, but you can surely start a snowball on it's way to hell in a heartbeat!
"He who has nothing to say, should refrain from giving wordy evidence of the fact."-Unknown
"It is better to sit silently and be thought a fool,
than to speak and remove all doubt."-Unknown

ETFOG

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2009, 09:38:30 PM »
Let me first say very clearly. I am sorry for the families that are about to lose employment. I have no pity on Jamie and the other union bullies that cost these jobs. Iceman made a great point. Jamie can cut grass and make his money. He ain't worried about the others who don't have the union to keep them up.

I have seen it myself, after the mill laid off several people the summer before the mill closed, I passed the union hall and you were cutting the grass. It ticked me off because no one else from the mill was offered that work and we could have used that money as well. That grass cutting job paid pretty decent.

santee_sam

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2009, 10:09:21 PM »
The problem is trust.  No one trusts any one else.  Lies and innuendo run rampart.  Take Coca Cola, so many different types of Coke on the market now in all different sizes, 7 oz., 12 oz, 16 oz, 20 oz and may even be a 10 oz.  Why is there no large bottles of Coke or Pepsi like the store brand?  The taste has changed, just not the same anymore and the cost has gone up.  Why is there so many different sizes and different flavors?  Coke is out to get the customers dollar any way they can, by hook or crook.  the customer is the enemy.  It seems that the majority of businesses operate in the above manner, grocery stores pharmacies, ect., I'm  sure you get my meaning. 

Let's hope that we stop importing from China.  First it was tainted baby formula, tainted dog feed additive, steel coated with lead paint and then wall board.  The Chinese's don't seem overly concerned about the quality of their exports.  they just execute the guilty Chinese official responsible and then continue to ship tainted products.

santee sam

JW

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2009, 06:36:16 PM »
I think it is a shame people have to lose jobs. It is a fact of business. That's why so many of us from Georgetown have to seek employment outside the county. There is no one looking out for business or jobs in this county. You think the chamber of UNcommerce or the economic UNdevelopment commission is really trying to bring jobs here? All those groups do is support the low wage paying tourism jobs. This county is in trouble cause there are not enough low paying grass cutting and house cleaning jobs in tourism to support the working class here. Oh well I guess people can live in this bedroom community and work in Williamsburg or Myrtle Beach?

tcb

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2009, 08:14:29 PM »
Someone is coming to take care of businesses and bring new jobs to Georgetown, Stay tuned.

tcb

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2009, 05:29:02 PM »
June 9th will tell the tale.We will see.

J-man

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2009, 04:59:26 PM »
I think it is a shame people have to lose jobs. It is a fact of business. That's why so many of us from Georgetown have to seek employment outside the county. There is no one looking out for business or jobs in this county. You think the chamber of UNcommerce or the economic UNdevelopment commission is really trying to bring jobs here? All those groups do is support the low wage paying tourism jobs. This county is in trouble cause there are not enough low paying grass cutting and house cleaning jobs in tourism to support the working class here. Oh well I guess people can live in this bedroom community and work in Williamsburg or Myrtle Beach?

I always feel bad anytime people lose their jobs, but in this case I believe closing the steel mill is a step in the right direction for Georgetown.  The mill is sitting on a prime piece of waterfront property and is a blight to a town that has real potential. It was only a matter of time that it was going to close.

I drive through Georgetown frequently, and every time I see that mill, I think about what a great little harbor it could have. It's got so much potential, much more than say, Beaufort, at least in my opinion.