Author Topic: Steel Mill  (Read 13644 times)

plain talker

Steel Mill
« on: August 10, 2010, 11:36:01 AM »
I know that you will think that I am crazy, but I heard from a reliable person yesterday that the steel mill would be opening in the near future. That same person has said before that it would never open again.   Maybe they are wrong, but I hope not.

JW

Re: Steel Mill
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 11:58:39 AM »
Yes you are crazy. The mill will not reopen. Only the poor suckers that still follow James E. Sanderson Jr. the liar believe that one.

concernedperson

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 10:35:33 AM »
Just more of the lies from the Sanderson crowd probably. Why anyone believes anything the Sanderson say anymore is beyond me. They have been proven to be liars.

Lee Padgett

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 09:56:36 AM »
I know I will take a whipping for this, but, plain talker I hope you are right. That we do have the promise of jobs returning to this area.
"The death of objectivism and small government can be attributed to emotional politics." Liberty Laura

paradigm

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 02:05:27 PM »
Stay away steel mill, stay away.  If you do come back, do so with new non-union employees.  I saw a female security guard at the post office today.  She had on so much jewelry there is no way she could chase anyone... what a sight!!! 

plain talker

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 03:54:53 PM »
I have never met James Sandersons and I have talked to Jamie one time in my life and He was a very nice to me then.  I do know this, it was talked again today by another group of men and the Sanderson family was not present nor mentioned.  We need jobs in this City and I would love to see the Steel Mill open back up.  Every time I cross the bridge, I say a prayer for the Port to open back up.

concernedperson

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 04:19:04 PM »
It has been over 4 months since James E. Sanderson Jr. was all over the media saying the mill was about to open. I am willing to bet you it won't be open in four more months.  ;D

paradigm

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 05:37:09 PM »
Every time I cross the bridge I say a prayer that it will never open again and also that one day I'll cross the bridge and see green space, buildings, trees, etc., etc.

River Rat

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 10:57:36 PM »
Paradigm , why do you hate the steel mill so much ?

paradigm

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 10:06:10 AM »
It is filthy, noisy, and an eyesore.  In my opinion the steel mill is a reason the city is having growth problems.  If it were located 10 to 20 miles outside the city limits my opinion(s) may change. 

Georgetown Democrat

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 01:04:45 PM »
The steel mill has been here for how many years now? Growth problems? Please. In my opinion, growth for the county, not just the city, is hurt by attitude of the businesses here. Plus, you do realize that word of mouth is your best advertisement. Funny, I don't hear many people raving about all the bars on Front Street as a top tourist attraction.  :-\

ETFOG

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 01:45:30 PM »
Has anyone else noticed its always the evil, rich business owner's fault according to the Sandersons? What a sham. Now the Shamdersons are saying business owners have an attitude that is stopping growth in Georgetown? Jamie the business owner's want this county to grow and prosper so they can make money. One of the biggest problems is that manufacturing will not even think of moving here because you union nuts want to unionize and damage their ability to produce. Its always the business owners that the Shamdersons want to blame. That is why the Sandersons will never be anything more than crybabies in life. I am thankful for the family that owns the business I work for. If not for them taking a risk and starting a business I would not have this job. And I too hope the steel mill never reopens. That is our best chance of the Sandersons moving away to terrorize some other town. How long until your unemployment runs out Jamie?

Georgetown Democrat

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 03:24:22 PM »
Is that all you have? You blame a union for businesses not locating here? You must get away from the computer and out of your house once in a while. Then, we have the usual personal attack instead of actually giving a damn and doing something to further this town. As far as being a "crybaby" and all that, it seems to me you constantly "cry" over what we Sandersons do.

Hank Hill

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 10:22:50 PM »
I personally hope it reopens. Every person in that mill is a decent hard working person. I can't think of one that I would wish misfortune on from the loop layer all the way up to the foremen they are all in my prayers.

River Rat

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 10:36:27 PM »
Thank you Hank ! You mentioned LOOPLAYER. I would like to see some of these people who put down , and talk crap about us STEEL WORKERS , work the llooplayer!!!!!

JW

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
Give it up river rat. The union and its leadership has finished the mill off. And when the unemployment benefits dry up for Jamie and his union buddies they will be either finding other jobs or moving out of town. I think it is a shame us working stiffs are having to pay for them to sit on their butts all day. And clearly that is what Jamie is doing. Have you visited his blog lately? The boy has nothing better to do than run down republicans and attack people he hates all day and night. What a life.

Georgetown Democrat

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 03:57:38 PM »
Pucker up, JW. I have a butt you can kiss.

I love how such a nameless person thinks he knows "clearly" what I am doing. Just because I type faster than you doesn't mean I
sit on this computer all day thinking of the next insult to hurl.

;D

afdip

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 04:39:33 PM »
okay guys.  this he said, she said stuff is really getting stale (a little like g'town itself).  you all need to take a deep breath, count to ten, and try to come up with something substantive.  do you know how to do that?  over 600 folks have read this drivel that adds nothing to a real conversation.  think.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
    • Marty Tennant the PC Doctor
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 09:19:09 PM »
thank you oh wise one.  the number in excess of 600 just indicates the total number of views, not the total unique individuals or IP addresses.  but you are correct, we should be discussing issues.  oh for the days of issues instead of what passes for conversation.
Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.

River Rat

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 01:27:13 AM »
What type of work do you do , JW ?

River Rat

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2010, 01:34:27 AM »
JW , do you think the economy and the market had anything to do whith the shutting down of the mill ?

JW

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2010, 10:09:15 AM »
What type of work do you do , JW ?

I don't think I want to tell you my line of work but I will tell you it keeps me on the road a lot lately.  I just got back from Chicago and am traveling again next week so I get to see a lot of other towns and how they are doing. So do I think the economy caused the mill to close? No the union voted to not accept the company offer and the company decided to close it. That is the simple answer.

concernedperson

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2010, 12:03:33 PM »
Chicago? How often does James E. Sanderson go meet with the USW there?

River Rat

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2010, 11:15:38 PM »
So you think the mill would have kept running no matter what the condition of the market ?

River Rat

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2010, 11:26:54 PM »
You dont want the mill to open back up , so can you recomend any jobs for the steel workers so they don't have to move ?

River Rat

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2010, 11:50:51 PM »
Who's next , IP . Maybe we should all move and make room for a bunch of retired yankee's and tourist's to cross the bridge and see green grass and tree's !!!!!!!!!!!!

concernedperson

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2010, 10:40:07 AM »
River rat I smell a rat for sure. No one here hates the mill. You keep asking questions but refuse to answer anyone else. So why do you think James E. Sanderson Jr. lied to everyone saying the mill would be reopening months ago when he knew it would not happen?

paradigm

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2010, 10:56:02 AM »
I beg your pardon.  I, for one of probably many, do hate the mill and continues to hope that it remains shut and is soon flattened.  Am I sorry that so many lost their jobs... YES!  If not for the stupid Union and its leaders promising these workers something that was totally not achievable and giving them a percentage of salary while out of work, most would have probably moved on to another location, job, etc., etc.

I know, I know... some are going to come back and talk about the economy and what jobs, and all of that garbage.  Have you tried to find another job?  Probably not as long as you're receiving some sort of income from the steel mill and possibly unemployment. 

And by the way, did you vote for Obama?

Hank Hill

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2010, 07:28:03 PM »
I was laid off from the mill in 2003. I am no expert, but I would like to give people on here my perspective. You feel a sense of pride when you finally get on at the mill. You finally have the ability to earn a good wage. Trust me you do earn every penny of it. You will more than likely get burnt everyday and you will work harder than you ever have, you will sweat until the salt is showing on your shirt and hat, depending on what department you work in you may have blisters on your feet from the floor beneath you. On top of all of the bad conditions you are being pushed to produce at record breaking rates and we did break records while I was employed there and that was after a slight reduction in the workforce. So to sum it all up we produced more product with less payroll and we were still asked to take a pay cut. In the job I have now we would have all gotten bonuses or raises. So when I hear people talk about this last lay off with the mill,( from what I understand there were even less workers producing the same amount of steel.) I do not blame them for not accepting concessions.

paradigm

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 11:48:41 AM »
So, your final statement tells me that you would not accept the concessions knowing that you would probably lose your job and at some point, no pay!! 

So be it!!  To each his own!!  Or whatever!! 

Hank Hill

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2010, 10:18:42 PM »
No, I would not accept concessions. Mainly because I have other skills that let me earn a decent living outside of the mill. And like I already explained we upped production with less manpower. When you are bone tired and somebody wants you to work harder for less money, you have to draw the line somewhere.

Surfer

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2010, 09:58:50 PM »
You were being asked to work harder for less pay, so those who never worked that hard a day in their lives could realize even more profit from sitting on their capital. Hey, it's the American capitalist's way...and it's why unions had to be invented.

ETFOG

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2010, 08:24:27 AM »
You were being asked to work harder for less pay, so those who never worked that hard a day in their lives could realize even more profit from sitting on their capital. Hey, it's the American capitalist's way...and it's why unions had to be invented.

Surfer you and your union buddies should be thankful for the capitalist way. If it were not for those who have the money to start a company there would be no jobs for you to unionize. Most American business owners started from the bottom and managed to leverage their skills and money to start companies. If you aspired you could do it too. But you would rather sit around and whine about rich people and demand someone give you something. You will never be anything unless you try.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2010, 09:38:38 AM »
Surfer would prefer to see overseas labor work harder and for less money so American workers can be spared the shame of holding on to a job in such demeaning circumstances.
Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.

River Rat

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2010, 09:48:38 PM »
So should American workers work for overseas wages ?

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2010, 10:39:44 PM »
No.

paradigm

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2010, 10:54:06 PM »
If you need an income, yes!  I don't understand this dumb argument about making a few bucks or being treating fairly and not making a few bucks.  Damn people.  Go back to when we really had to work in the 40s, 50s, 60s, etc... Seems now all you want to do is either be paid UNION wages or not work and draw unemployment for the Democrat instituted 99 weeks or whatever.

Amazing2Me2

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2010, 12:10:32 AM »
I think it works something like this.  You finally manage to land one of the few jobs left in the US unloading Chinese made goods at the dock for $50/hour. However, the Chinese made shirts that you help unload cost $500 US each because the value of the US dollar has become extremely weak against foreign currencies. Unfortunately, it is not that you work 10 hours to buy that shirt because the Federal debt is now $50 trillion so you must pay 80% tax so you get to keep $10/hour. So for a little over a weeks wage you can now buy that shirt you've been saving up to buy.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2010, 09:21:46 AM »
Amazing2Me2 brings up good points for discussion, but they should probably be under another heading regarding "National Debt, Jobs, and the Future of America".

Feel free to start this discussion if you like.

Surfer

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2010, 10:24:01 AM »
Whoa now, Marty! I understand you're the Guru Administrator/Boss Hog around here, but please don't speak for Surfer girl (and as long as we're letting that bit of info slip, the "girl" part I mean -- let's put it out as "Surfer Woman"), because she can and will, speak for herself 'round heah, K? Tanks.