Author Topic: Fired county employee says Funnye "Incompetent-Unethical"  (Read 13871 times)

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
    • Marty Tennant the PC Doctor
Fired county employee says Funnye "Incompetent-Unethical"
« on: January 12, 2011, 11:21:30 AM »
From the Times:

“My firing has nothing to do with what he alleges,” Corinna said. “But the truth of the matter is, he [Funnye] can’t handle being told no.”

I know Don Corinna.  Former Marine, stand up guy.

If he says Ray Funnye is full of it, I believe it.  Of course, I've heard this about Funnye for years.

Also, it sounds like Don was standing up to corruption.  We all know how corrupt things are around here.  He is obviously taking a principled stand.  Like most people standing up to corruption here, he is slapped down and told he is the problem.

At 3pm today he is having an open grievance hearing.  I'd love to be there with a camera rolling.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 06:21:55 PM by Marty Tennant »
Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.

Lee Padgett

Re: Fired county employee says Funnye can't handle being told no!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 12:28:59 PM »
Interesting how this guy was looking after taxpayer dollars by bringing to light what he perceived as a form of bilking the County out of money and instead of researching the allegation they fire him! Someone has their hand in the cookie jar. Now it is a matter of figuring out who! Hopefully Scott and Gina Vasselli will be at the open grievance hearing and will take good notes.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 06:23:53 PM by Lee Padgett »
"The death of objectivism and small government can be attributed to emotional politics." Liberty Laura

MAX

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
Mr. Corrina is right on the money. ;D I hope everyone can come witness this.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 04:11:34 PM »
I'm there now. The acoustics here are just as bad as they have been in the the past when used as a courtroom.
Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.

MAX

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 04:54:27 PM »
Will be interesting to see what happens with the information given by Mr. Corrina.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 06:11:28 PM »
Here is a link to his prepared statement.

http://citizensreport.com/images/doncorrina.pdf

He makes allegations of incompetence that some might say border on corruption.

Funnye refused to address any of the allegations he made.

Chances are he will get nowhere with the grievance committee.  What Sel Hemingway and Council will do is another matter.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 08:11:58 AM by Marty Tennant »

Lee Padgett

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 06:49:26 PM »
This guy should be given a commendation instead of termination. Save that for Funnye and a few more at the county level that need to be dismissed. Thanks Marty for providing that statement and i find it very interesting that nothing he said was rebutted. And yes if there is a friendly link between ATM and some at the county I think the term corruption applies......
"The death of objectivism and small government can be attributed to emotional politics." Liberty Laura

MAX

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 09:24:44 AM »
Not sure he will get anywhere with Sel Hemmingway or Council either... Many of these allegations though are hard to defend, especially since they are spot on. I would love to know the total amount of money paid to ATM over the past 5 years they were the consultant.
I know this for a fact though... Mr. Corrina is 100% on the money with his statements. This county absolutely burns through the budget unnecessarily, and the end result of that is budget cuts, layoffs, paycuts, lack of service to the customer (taxpayers).  A 3% paycut hurts someone who makes under $30,000/year much more than someone who makes near $110,000/year. That number is rediculous!

If someone familiar with accounting got a hold of the DPS documents and ran some numbers I am sure it would turn up some rediculous spending. $700,000 for the PI drainage project which doesn't work...millions of dollars for design work which hasn't resulted in an actual project... the bigger question, where is this money coming from to pay these guys? Hasn't the county been in a $2 million deficit since 2008?

He was wrong about one thing though...

his last sentence states that "...has resulted in the potential costs of thousands of dollars being unnecessarily expended by Georgetown County." It is not thousands of dollars, it is closer to millions, and further investigation byt the public will unveil that.

Let's hope Mr. Corrina's courageous act will have a ripple effect with the current county employees who are too afraid to speak out against the upper management.  Thanks for your service to this country Mr. Corrina, and thank you for trying to do what is right.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 11:27:05 AM »
Part of the problem is that the grievance board is comprised of county employees that are probably scared to rock the boat of corruption for fear of losing their jobs.

There should be a citizens board to investigate this and other allegations of corruption.

Having the inmates run the court isn't going to cut it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:46:29 PM by Marty Tennant »

concernedperson

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 11:46:14 AM »
This man better get ready for the attack dogs to tear him apart. Anyone who dares to point out the fraud and waste here in Georgetown County will be attacked and destroyed. The list is long of others who did the same and suffered the result. Get a good attorney my friend.

Lee Padgett

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 12:15:08 PM »
If he has the means available he should seek out an attorney and ask for Whistleblower Status. I hope he will continue to back his story and go forth with exposing this. Is there any one out there who like like to contribute to an FOIA fund (I am sure they will not make this inexpensive) to assist in the investigation of this. I feel sure the local paper will not ask for any of the documents backing Mr. Corinna's allegations and it will be up to the people on this board and other media outlets to look deeply into this. Much like the collusion or appearance of with the City and Collins Engineers. This company surveyed and designed a new boardwalk and there are change orders coming in because of things being out of square. Seems Collins should have done a better job of measuring and drawing out their design.

RootOfAnOak

• The Oak
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 02:06:21 PM »
INTERESTING!  IT IS ABOUT TIME!  MR. CORRINA, I SUPPORT YOU ALL THE WAY! 

“Evil flourishes when good men do nothing.”
~British statesman Edmund Burke

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
Re: Fired county employee says Funnye "Incompetent-Unethical"
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 09:31:50 PM »
Here is the Sun News article on this.

http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/01/13/1918051/axed-man-county-ripped-off.html

Let's see what the Georgetown Times publishes tomorrow.

concernedperson

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
Oh Marty you are so funny. The Georgetown "waste of everyone's" Times will never publish the truth. The truth is this man has the balls to stand up and say money has been wasted and fraud has been committed. The Times will be doing the bidding of the county corruption leaders and help destroy this man. Just like so many others have been attacked and destroyed over the years that dared to stand up and call out the corruption and liars. The Times refuses to publish the truth about the biggest, fattest liar of all. Ron Charlatan. Nuff said.

santee_sam

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 11:32:21 PM »
It is my believe that it is a must to cut spending and to root out fraud and waste.  It is the Georgetown Times and the Sun News duty to investigate these charges to ascertain their validity.   No one may be at fault, other than over worked, or maybe just not wanting to upset the apple cart.  Our financial situation is in such dire straits that this can no longer be allowed to continue.  Here is another prime example of government waste if not out right fraud which must not and cannot be allowed to continue.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/01/12/is-treasurer-maria-pappas-wasting-your-tax-dollars/

Matthew E. Ryan,now that you are a member of our congressional delegation, what say you concerning this and what powers to be can you bring to see that an investigation into the allegations is done?

Santee Sam

Matthew E. Ryan

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
"Matthew E. Ryan,now that you are a member of our congressional delegation"....you must have me mistaken for someone else...my brother maybe http://www.scstatehouse.gov/members/bios/1615340716.html

Boone

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 08:59:26 PM »
I would be very interested in what Representative Kevin R. Ryan has to say about this.

I agree we should hold their feet to the fire and demand spending be cut ,stop the waste (PORK) and investigate the possible fraud of these Captial Improvement Projects.
I would think any lawyer would be eager to take this on for a percentage and no money up front.
Sounds like the case that would bring the appearance of corruption in Georgetown to its knees.

Maybe Bell Law Firm?????

Lee Padgett

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 10:39:17 PM »
Bell Law Firm? That would be definitely interesting since it is my understanding the County Attorney Wes Bryant used to be an associate there til he moved on up to Civil Servant. Maybe somewhere there is a stand up attorney with a backbone that would take on some of this crap around here and expose the tarnished cheap metal underneath the gold plating.

ETFOG

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 06:57:19 PM »
Somebody pointed out on the Georgetown WASTE OF OUR Times board that there is a rule against government employees taking gifts from vendors? Is that true? If Funne accepted lunch from the vendor is he in violation of that rule? Why is that not being asked by the county? HMMMMMMM?

kickstart

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 08:35:41 PM »
I'm there now. The acoustics here are just as bad as they have been in the the past when used as a courtroom.

Seriously?! After your hard earned tax dollars just paid for new computers, 4 flat panel TV's, a projector and screen, new furniture, and a Bose sound system!  Time for  another pay for county employees.

kickstart

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 08:48:19 PM »
Here is the Sun News article on this.

http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/01/13/1918051/axed-man-county-ripped-off.html

Let's see what the Georgetown Times publishes tomorrow.

I noticed that at the end of this article it was stated that the committee will present their results to Sel Hemingway. Is this an appointed committee or is the committee actually County Council? If County Council, do we really believe the results presented will be favorable to Mr Corrina when Council answers to Sel Hemingway?

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 09:52:28 PM »
The results are already in.  I saw Don at church Sunday.  They immediately turned down his appeal and reported to Hemingway.

However, he did say that the state investigated something related to his dismissal and came up with the opposite conclusion of the county.

I gave Mr. Corrina our website address and told him he should come visit in the future.  Hope he does!

Lee Padgett

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 10:03:22 PM »
These "grievance" committees made up of fellow employees are placed between a rock and hard place. They would face serious retribution if they dared to go against their supervisors and superiors. It is a joke.

Quote from Marty

Part of the problem is that the grievance board is comprised of county employees that are probably scared to rock the boat of corruption for fear of losing their jobs.

There should be a citizens board to investigate this and other allegations of corruption.

Having the inmates run the court isn't going to cut it.

I like his idea of a Citizen Review board that could be impartial and not have any fear of reprisals. Does any one know of any instance where the "grievance" board stood strong and actually backed a former fellow employee?

MAX

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 09:10:43 AM »
So now what?

Lee Padgett

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 11:57:48 AM »
If any Federal/State money has been used for these over billed projects would that not bring this into a SLED/FBI type investigation? RICO perhaps? Just tossing things out here as there are guidelines for the way some of this should be handled. There have been some serious allegations made that should not go unquestioned. Also single sourcing should be outlawed as this type of practice leads to close working relationships that can prove detrimental to the taxpayers.

Lee Padgett

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 08:06:46 PM »
Well no surprise here..

http://www.gtowntimes.com/local/County-upholds-employee-s-firing-offers-him-another-chance-to-resign

What would the resignation do for him? Does that come with a letter of glowing recommendation?

MAX

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 01:56:59 PM »
http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/01/20/1932439/georgetown-county-employees-firing.html

its a shame really. i guess all those allegations will be wiped under the carpet?

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 02:16:45 PM »
Corinna said he will not resign and noted that the following day he received a letter from the South Carolina Department of Employment and Work Force saying that he was eligible for unemployment benefits because "the record does not show any intentional or deliberate neglect of work on your part. Therefore you are considered to have been separated under non-disqualifying circumstances."

So they tried to screw him and the State said he was eligible.

If he offered to resign, it would disqualify him, as I understand the system.

Marine

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 05:41:50 PM »
My thanks to the many people who offered their prayers and support in light of the circumsatnces. Evolving from the events subsequent to my departure from County Government numerous issues and questions have been raised. Not the least of which is why the County has now chosen to challenge the decision of the State Dept. of Employment & Work Force by appealing their having established my eligibility to receive benefits. These benefits will have to be returned should the County be successful. I believe this action by the County to be incomprehensibile given my career achievements and unselfish community services during my 3 1/2 years with Georgetown County. I have written to the Chaiman of the County Council sharing this feeling with him but, citing more specific and significant issues questioning the approval and payment of fees for professional consulting services (ATM) which had not been provided under Mr. Funnye's direction. This bears directly on the essence of my concerns and casts a shadow on the very integrity  of our County Governement, which I believe to be placed in jeopordy in the absence of any recognition of , or attempt to define and implement any remedial measures. It would seem that an objective, 3rd party investigation / audit may be in order. I've requested an open meeting with the County Council for the purpose of discussing these concerns as they relate to the potential adverse impact on the INTEGRITY of our Georgetown County Government. Perhaps, by contacting your respective County Council representative we may be successful in restoring the INTEGRITY of our County Government.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 05:50:40 PM »
I wonder if they will have the INTEGRITY to respond to you and your request for an open meeting.

I have my doubts.

Lee Padgett

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 07:56:15 PM »
If there was true integrity they would have fully researched this matter before terminating Mr. Corinna. This is politics at it's worst. They do not appreciate or reward honesty if it doesn't suit them.

MAX

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2011, 10:19:58 AM »
Marine,

Thank you for making your hearing public as too much happens in this county behind closed doors. Integrity does not exist in GC's government at this moment in time. At least not in the upper management level.

kickstart

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 01:47:42 PM »
My thanks to the many people who offered their prayers and support in light of the circumsatnces. Evolving from the events subsequent to my departure from County Government numerous issues and questions have been raised. Not the least of which is why the County has now chosen to challenge the decision of the State Dept. of Employment & Work Force by appealing their having established my eligibility to receive benefits. These benefits will have to be returned should the County be successful. I believe this action by the County to be incomprehensibile given my career achievements and unselfish community services during my 3 1/2 years with Georgetown County. I have written to the Chaiman of the County Council sharing this feeling with him but, citing more specific and significant issues questioning the approval and payment of fees for professional consulting services (ATM) which had not been provided under Mr. Funnye's direction. This bears directly on the essence of my concerns and casts a shadow on the very integrity  of our County Governement, which I believe to be placed in jeopordy in the absence of any recognition of , or attempt to define and implement any remedial measures. It would seem that an objective, 3rd party investigation / audit may be in order. I've requested an open meeting with the County Council for the purpose of discussing these concerns as they relate to the potential adverse impact on the INTEGRITY of our Georgetown County Government. Perhaps, by contacting your respective County Council representative we may be successful in restoring the INTEGRITY of our County Government.

Any further news here? It has become very quiet lately? Are we "under the rug" already?!

MAX

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2011, 10:02:04 AM »
My allergies are getting worked up under here...

http://www.gtowntimes.com/local/Pursuing-allegations-about-overcharges

Most recent thing ive heard....

Lee Padgett

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 12:27:14 PM »
I am glad to see Mr. Corrina is not letting this issue die. Hopefully people will email/call council members and demand they look into these allegations and now. I do not believe this man would be pursuing this if he did not have legitimate evidence to back his claims. I will be sending Oakley Charlton Myers and the rest an email this weekend to keep the feet to the fire about this and there is strength in numbers. For their contacts see the county website:

http://www.georgetowncountysc.org/officials/countycouncil.html

for those members and guests who feel inclined to find out how much the taxpayers have wasted on this single sourcing, over billing corrupt mess.

Lee Padgett

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2011, 08:16:55 AM »
Letter, not the greatest in the world, sent to all council except Morant, kept getting an error message saying the parameters were not correct.

An open letter to County Council,
Recently terminated employee, Dan Corinna, levied some serious allegations towards Ray Funnye and ATM engineering services provider for the County since 2005. Any professional relationship of that length of time lends itself to the formation of personal friendships/relationships which can cloud judgments and the responsibilities of the public servants towards the best interests of the public.
The news reports stated Mr. Funnye did not address any of Mr. Corinna’s allegations during his grievance hearing. 2 points to consider: by hearing only half the conversation the grievance committee, in their “quasi judicial” role could not give a fair and balanced or full due process look at Mr. Corinna’s termination, and with silence being the voice of complicity, the public at large will believe the allegations true.
I implore each of you to research these allegations outlined in his prepared statement for the grievance committee and either issue a finding that the allegations are baseless or that the citizens of this county have been overpaying for services in an economically depressed time when millage rates continue to rise to cover the cost of continuing the County’s budget. This does not digest well in good economic times, but it is even more of a slap when people are out of work and struggle day to day to make ends meet and a corporation such as this can pad their pockets off the backs of those paying to ensure our best interests are monitored. An independent auditor of these allegations can either put this to rest or ensure that justice is done and an employee with the proper intestinal fortitude is not maligned for doing his job.
Thank you

Lee Padgett
1704 Duke St
Georgetown SC 29440

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2011, 09:04:44 AM »
Well put Lee.  Thank you for keeping this issue alive.

Lee Padgett

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2011, 01:07:53 PM »
Thanks Marty. It appears the emails sent were rejected, all but Administrator Hemingways.

The following mail failed to be delivered...

Sent:    Mon, 14 Feb 2011 07:14:45 -0500
Subject: Web Site Information Request
To:-
LMiller@georgetowncountysc.org - Rejected with: 550 No such user (LMiller@georgetowncountysc.org)

got one for each that was sent.

There are 2 issues before the people of this City/County that need to come to light. Those raised by Corinna and the UNA Fund aka Slush Fund raised by you. These people need to remember who they work for and that they are totally accountable to the people and it should not be but is up to us to ensure they answer diligently, honestly and quickly to their employers THE CITIZENS/TAXPAYERS...