Author Topic: The new company name  (Read 14490 times)

IWCCTTT

The new company name
« on: March 08, 2011, 09:55:56 PM »
All you have to do is do a little digging to learn who the big secret people are.

A company that could produce 500 jobs, with a $200 million investment, is considering a move to Georgetown County.

The unnamed company, referred to as Project Roma, is a high-tech, green industry, said Wayne Gregory, economic development director for Georgetown County.

The name of the company was not released Tuesday night, but Georgetown County Council approved a fee in lieu of taxes agreement with the company.

Look up the Whitehall Group. Real difficult investigative reporting there. It took me seconds. Oh, lets not forget the reporters and paper do what they are told to report.

ben there

Re: The new company name
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 10:40:50 PM »
You are a total moron IW. If you had a brain the size of a marble you would know one thing that kills an industry locating in an area is the news being reported before they want it to be reported. I have no clue if the company you mentioned is right or wrong and I have no idea if any reporters know the name. But if they were told, keep this quiet until the company wants it out or it could mess things up, I hope to God they will not report it.
I bet the media in Charleston knew Boeing was coming way before they reported it for that same reason.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
    • Marty Tennant the PC Doctor
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:22:48 AM »
Sounds like insider info to me, if it is correct.  Loose lips sink ships.
Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.

IWCCTTT

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 10:39:52 AM »
I think the secrecy thing is all wrong. Our council is BUYING a companies move with our tax money. That should be public. How much are we taxpayers shelling out for that business? If this type activity was out in the public like it should be the give aways would stop. What if we were the county about to lose those jobs. Wouldn't you want to know what someone else was doing to buy the jobs? We cannot afford to lose jobs. And one more thought. Georgetown County and the state bought the property and gave huge tax concessions for the wall board plant. Anyone want to guess how many jobs were not created that were agreed to in return for the give aways? That place is a ghost town. We taxpayers are subsidizing these companies. That is wrong.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 10:49:11 AM »
So where are the hard numbers on jobs promised and jobs delivered?

I'd like to see that.
Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.

IWCCTTT

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 10:53:21 AM »
So where are the hard numbers on jobs promised and jobs delivered?

I'd like to see that.

From the Georgetown Times. Even they could not lie about this one.

“This is bigger than American Gypsum,” Gregory said.

American Gypsum, which now operates beside the Santee-Cooper Winyah Generating Station, pledged to invest at least $125 million in Georgetown County and create about 300 jobs.

The company now employs about 80 people at its wallboard plant in Georgetown.

American Gypsum broke ground for the Georgetown plant in 2006.

Lee Padgett

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:57:19 AM »
The SC FOIA law allows for this secrecy to take place. I have mixed emotions. If there was someway to penalize companies that fail to perform. Ie the Steel Mill has not paid FILOT to the city that I am aware of while it was shut down. That should not be allowed if it is a corporation that has multiple operations outside this area. If they don't want to pay even during shut down times then they need to pack up and go. A small business owner locally would have to continue to pay taxes on her property whether it is being used or not. So fair is fair. I do object to companies over inflating numbers to makes themselves attractive!! If this company can guarantee 500 jobs if not say what the opening number will be and give an up to number or base "tax benefits" to full performance.
"The death of objectivism and small government can be attributed to emotional politics." Liberty Laura

forklift driver

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 11:28:10 AM »
Lee, did you just say the steel mill failed to pay their FILOT during the shut down? If this is so then the steel mill has not met their legal obligations? They hurt the taxpayers of the city and county. They should be forced to pay that money. Where is James E. Sanderson on this? When he runs for office it will be made a issue. James E. Sanderson, Jr is a member of the management team at the Steel Mill. We deserve a answer.

Lee Padgett

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 12:17:56 PM »
I saw 49,000+/- on one of the City budget sheets listed as FILOT Steel Mill and have not seen it since. I may not be looking in the right spot and will review them again to see if it is there. I may be mistaken here.

http://www.egovlink.com/public_documents300/georgetown/published_documents/Departments/Finance/Budget/2010-11/CoG_Adopted_Budget_10-11.pdf

Go to page two of the adopted 2010/2011 budget. Steel Mill listed as 0.00

2009/10 was listed as 46,000 and some change. Can't find anything from 2008/09
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 12:31:05 PM by Lee Padgett »
"The death of objectivism and small government can be attributed to emotional politics." Liberty Laura

Lee Padgett

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 01:12:38 PM »
The Georgetown Housing Authority shows an annual FILOT between 25-34,000 for the past 4 years I cannot find but one Steel Mill FILOT and that was the 46,000+ in the 2008/09 Budget Year. Also checked the county budget and found a revenue fund labeled Payment in Lieu of Taxes that ranged in the mid 30's but not specific as to the individual source/s.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 04:56:58 PM by Lee Padgett »

IWCCTTT

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 07:14:01 PM »
You are a total moron IW. If you had a brain the size of a marble you would know one thing that kills an industry locating in an area is the news being reported before they want it to be reported.

Don't worry. I really don't think the company will locate here. They left here and met with the leadership in Charleston and they have a much bigger give away offered to them there. This company will probably land in Charleston. They have a port in Charleston that is actually deep enough to get boats in too. Something we no longer have. Thanks to the leaders we have here we will never have a dredged port again it looks like.

paradigm

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 09:21:08 PM »
The story about G'Town County Council and the company is already in the Charleston P&C.

IWCCTTT

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 09:52:17 AM »
I took the opportunity to talk with a gentleman from the company. After I asked him if they were really considering Georgetown I then asked him if he knew about the militant union presence we have here. He was not aware so I gave him some copies of news reports. That will sure help their decision. I do want more jobs to help the economy here because that will help the company I work for. But I think any large business that comes to Georgetown in this environment is crazy. Just ask 3V and Eagle Electric how much trouble the militants can cause. The best thing that can happen to this county is to rid itself of the militants.

ben there

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 10:17:36 AM »
IW, you are so full of bull we need to call you Mr. Rodeo. First, I do not believe a word you write about talking to the company. Second, there is no way that a company with 500 jobs has gotten as far as they have in the process and not know almost everything they need to know about the areas they are considering. And union presence is one of the first things a company studies. If they are truly looking at this county, they knew months ago about the union presence, the education system, the recreational assets, the housing situation, climate and crime. IF you did talk to someone from the company who did not know about the union presence here, you must have been speaking with a janitor.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 12:48:29 PM »
I'm with "ben there".  Sounds like a load of the stuff Scoville likes to thrown around.

Boone

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 02:36:36 PM »
I heard this was an Ethanol Plant.

They are considering Georgetown because of the amount of water they will need to operate. The Rail Roads and Port will also be a factor. I see the Rail Road spur coming through International Paper Company to the Port has just been completely reworked.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 04:05:37 PM »
Not so sure ethanol qualifies as "green" anymore.

Lee Padgett

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 04:15:15 PM »
Could it be something to do with the "ethanol from algae or oil from algae" type thing that was featured in the paper several months ago?

MAX

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 02:35:04 PM »
I was told once by a wise man that you cannot count on promises people make in Georgetown County until you actually see the end result. The County makes promise after promise just to make themselves look good. This sure did take the attention off increased millage, and the heat that was on Hemmingway. Wasn't the pie man suppose to bring jobs too... is he in jail yet for not paying employees?

American Gypsum only has 80 employees?  My math could be off but isn't that only like 26% of what they guaranteed for jobs?

Using history as any indicator I'd say if this company does choose GC, then we are looking at roughly 125 jobs. Not much.

forklift driver

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 02:55:27 PM »
Hey Max 125 jobs is more than half the jobs the Steel Mill has now. That's a lot. Maybe this company will actually pay the FILOT unlike what the Steel Mill apparently has done. I have to agree with you though the is probably nothing but more smoke from our department of economic NOdevelopment.

Why has the local press not asked about the steel mill failing to pay their taxes? The Georgetown Times has used other web sites to base their article on. They should be thanking Lee for outing the issue of not paying taxes. Where is James E. Sanderson Jr? He loves to attack people and tell lies how about telling us why the mill has not paid their taxes. Maybe the whinny little proven liar can come here and explain?

MAX

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 03:16:17 PM »
all in all it is a lot compared to 0 jobs. but not compared to 500!

I think Sanderson went to some other forum. You could probably find that site info in the steel mill section of this forum. It was about 2 months ago, but i bet you could be the first poster on his site! :)

The reason the times hasnt reported it if it was true is becaue plain and simple the times sucks.

Lee Padgett

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 07:48:27 PM »
Having gone through all the budget documents available online the only time I have found FILOT from the Steel Mill is 2009. The current adopted budget has it listed as 0.00.
The documents are not detailed the same through each year so all I can surmise is from 2004-2010 only one payment has been made.

forklift driver

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 08:07:19 PM »
all in all it is a lot compared to 0 jobs. but not compared to 500!

I think Sanderson went to some other forum. You could probably find that site info in the steel mill section of this forum. It was about 2 months ago, but i bet you could be the first poster on his site! :)

The reason the times hasnt reported it if it was true is becaue plain and simple the times sucks.

This is Georgetown. The truth does not matter. It only matters who you are in this town.

The littlest union thug will not allow posts on his site. He only puts up his mantra. If you try to debate or comment he will not let it go up. So sad. Indeed.

Amazing2Me2

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 12:11:11 PM »
The acronym FILOT is Fee-in-Lieu of Tax which is a discounted tax rate.  It sound like the steel mill only needed this discounted tax rate in 2009 when they idled the plant.  I know there are many steel mill bashers on this site but isn't the fact that they only got a discount for one year a good thing?????

Lee Padgett

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 05:25:56 PM »
I am not a Steel Mill basher, but I think they should pay their way as all other businesses have to do til things change. I have been through the property tax rolls on the county website and cannot find where they pay taxes on their properties. Most FILOT's are a permanent arrangement. If the Steel Mill has an agreement that differs then we need to know. Everyone that I know in businesses for themselves have to pay their property taxes regardless of whether they have had a banner year or were on the verge of losing it all. I do not see why exceptions are made in any case. If they are then there needs to be an expansion of this to assist all businesses and not just one.

JW

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2011, 09:08:59 PM »
I called a local cub reporter and asked if he would look into this claim. Lets see what he does.

Lee Padgett

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 12:29:18 PM »
Thanks JW....  Finally found something on tax rolls re ISG and the paid column says one of these phrases depending on year..

PROPERTY ASSESSED BY DOR CHECK UNDER PERSONAL PROPERTY

TAX COMMISION PROPERTY CHECK UNDER PERSONAL PROPERTY

ASSESSED BY TAX COMMISSION CHECK UNDER PERSONAL PROPERTY

Anyone have a clue what these mean??

concernedperson

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 02:26:42 PM »
This could get interesting. Manufacturing property is assessed by the state department of revenue (SC DOR). This is to keep the local auditors from going crazy and overvaluing manufacturing property. The auditors can assess that same property if it is classified as personal property. So if the steel mill wants to be personal property then let Linda Mock assess it at fair market value. Neither of these assessments involve FILOT. So what the heck is going on? Now I see you all are discussing whether they actually paid the taxes?

Scarecrow

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 11:03:37 PM »
For the sake of Georgetown County I hope this deal goes through but I'll believe it when the first set of paychecks are distributed.  Wayne Gregory signed the only deal he cares about 5 years ago when he accepted the Econ Development director's job. 

Anyone know what happened to the deal with Lowcountry Paver's a few years ago?
http://sccommerce.com/resources/press-releases-announcements/lowcountry-paver-expands-its-sc-presence-opens-facility

JW

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 10:51:19 AM »
That is one of the many problems here in Georgetown. No one is willing to address the companies and false claims in this county. We give away land and tax breaks to companies and they in turn do nothing for the economy and most don't even hire locals. Look at Screen Tight. They work illegal aliens not locals. The wall board plant only hired 80 not 300. The paver place does not even exist. The list goes on and on. Thats why a site like this is good for Georgetown. We can discuss what is really happening here.

JW

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2011, 08:30:25 PM »
Don't look for any report in the Georgetown Times on this one. I am disappointed to say the Georgetown Times does not care to dig into anything written here. That is sad because many people have brought up great issues here. If the steel mill has paid their fair share of taxes is a great question. Looks like they have not.

Lee Padgett

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2011, 05:45:48 AM »
I have sent an email to the SCDOR asking for links to research the FILOT and property tax structure of the Steel Mill. All I can find online are forms. Should they be responsive, it will be shared here.

A link to the form for FILOT

http://www.sctax.org/NR/rdonlyres/80F42462-AA9C-46FA-9FC8-01049D4E5EB3/0/PT443.pdf

Seems to show this has to be a negotiated deal and not as a whim type thing.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 05:49:06 AM by Lee Padgett »

Boone

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2011, 10:05:25 AM »

I recently heard there are two different businesses interested in the property at Pawleys South Causeway where Lowes was to be located.

One is described as tourist/ entertainment and the other an automobile dealership. I’m one of those who wish Lowes was here. The competition would be good and possibly lower the prices at ACE Hardware.

paradigm

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2011, 02:30:44 PM »
Jody Tamsberg is buying about everything from the north bridges to St James St.  That is everything he doesn't already own.  He's up to something!   8)

PBSIAT

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2011, 04:48:19 PM »
Yes Jody is up to something. He is being smart. Even with the incompetent boobs we have leading this town that property will eventually be worth a fortune. Jody is going to cash in. Some day this town will have to grow and move on from the corruption that has held it back for years.

IWCCTTT

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2011, 09:57:56 PM »
Just wanted to let everyone know the company in question apparently has decided to NOT DO BUSINESS IN THIS CORRUPT BACKWARDS COUNTY. Good decision on their part. Maybe some day this county will rid itself of at least some of the corruption and we can actually get some jobs here.

concernedperson

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2011, 05:53:31 PM »
I stumbled across this article in the Sun News today. http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/11/27/2520780/new-company-in-spartanburg-to.html

So what ever happened to the un-named company here in Georgetown that never came? Just another of the long lies in Georgetown? Why did the local paper not push for answers? They could at least ask why the company decided against Georgetown. Maybe we could have learned to do something different next time?

Sunday, Nov. 27, 2011
New company in Spartanburg to be revealed soon

SPARTANBURG, S.C. -- Spartanburg County already has promised to use tax dollars to bring a company to the area, but residents won't find out which company will be creating jobs until the project has final approval.

The Spartanburg Herald-Journal reports that the company behind "Project 300" will be divulged Monday night, when the County Council holds a public hearing and then a vote to approve the deal. The company is expected to bring several hundred new jobs to the county.

County officials say keeping the terms of such deals secret is often essential to sealing the deal. Council Chairman David Britt says companies are often still negotiating the final terms of the new location or are working with stockholders.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 06:04:00 PM by concernedperson »

ETFOG

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2011, 09:02:47 PM »
You can't trust the Georgetown Times to tell the truth or dig into important stories like this one. Matter of fact I really don't think the Times cares if we have any jobs in this town.

forklift driver

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2011, 09:03:54 AM »
I understand a new company is moving into Georgetown. It is a mining company. They are going to look in the sink holes for gold buried during the civil war. That should employ hundreds of people.