The Citizens' Report
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2019, 04:09:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25187 Posts in 4010 Topics by 320 Members
Latest Member: SMW
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The Citizens' Report
|-+  South Carolina
| |-+  Georgetown County SC
| | |-+  Politics and Current Events
| | | |-+  Firm Chosen for Front Street
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Firm Chosen for Front Street  (Read 4426 times)
Lee Padgett

« on: April 09, 2014, 11:44:48 AM »

Scoville and all chose a firm -- Ls3P, a national company, to begin the work with the beginnings of the rebuild of Front Street. They chose this firm who was late to the RFQ and was allowed in over 2 local firms. I find that sad and once again disheartening. During the Charette signage a Pawleys Island company was late getting their RFP in and was disqualified. So why make an exemption over tardiness this time. As a side note one of the principals in Raleigh is named Stephen Hepler. Any relation to the Hepler that used to own Limpin Janes?

Me thinks so.. This guy used to be on the ARB of Georgetown..   http://www.ls3p.com/firm/associate-principals/stevehepler/

Mr. Hepler is active in professional and community organizations serving as the 1993 President of the AIA Charlotte section, and a member of the AIA North Carolina Board of Directors in 1992. He also served 8 years as the Vice-Chairman of the Myrtle Beach, SC Community Appearance Board, and was a member of the Georgetown, SC Historic District Commission. He is currently an active member of the Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce, a member of the Urban Land Institute, and a member of the Triangle Chapter CoreNet.

"The death of objectivism and small government can be attributed to emotional politics." Liberty Laura
Lee Padgett

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 03:02:26 PM »

http://www.egovlink.com/public_documents300/georgetown/unpublished_documents/Bids/2014/Admin/RFQ%20for%20Redevelopment%20Plan%20for%20700%20Block%20Front%20Street%20Revised%20032614.pdf

This doc shows the Ls3P bid was "postmarked" on 2/14.. There were others that were late and not postmarked by the 14th.

The original RFQ does not allow for "postmarked" by..   

http://www.egovlink.com/public_documents300/georgetown/unpublished_documents/Bids/2014/Admin/Redevelop%20700%20Block%20Front%20St%20Newspaper%20Add.pdf

Something smells fishy and it aint Independent Seafood.  Does Jack now have Vida in his "backpocket" so to speak? The Republican Party will have a heyday with this between her and Goldfinch.  How does this even work? They have the qualifications but have now decided to go forth with a single source bidder? This is public money and they went into executive session at an uncalled meeting Monday to discuss and decide the outcome of a RFQ. Why the smoke and mirrors?

Based on this no bids were taken.. The City has chosen to spend public money in a way that I do not think is legal or ethical.

"The death of objectivism and small government can be attributed to emotional politics." Liberty Laura
Lee Padgett

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 03:05:36 PM »

http://www.egovlink.com/public_documents300/georgetown/unpublished_documents/Bids/2014/Admin/RFQ%20for%20Redevelop%20700%20Block%20of%20Front%20St%20%20FINAL%20010813.pdf

Any and all Qualification Statements not received by the City by 4:00 PM on Friday, February 14, 2014 will be rejected and remain unopened. Who decided and when publicly that a late qualifier should be allowed?

Marty Tennant
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 06:03:06 PM »

What do the new faces of Georgetown have to say about this?

Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.
Lee Padgett

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 06:08:01 PM »

We shall see at Council on 4/17...  They were not part of this process. WRCOG, Vida, Jack, Chris Carter, Dwayne Christensen (sp) I believe were the "committee:. 

Lee Padgett

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 09:16:36 PM »

One other item on this thread. There was a meeting Monday afternoon on this. No public notice and as soon as the meeting was called to order Jack made a motion to go into executive session to discuss a contractual matter. This is such an obvious violation of FOIA and I hope they have minutes of the meetings and proof of public notification. A FOIA is being submitted tomorrow. I hope the new faces and the other council members do the right thing and vote down this circumvention of procedure and policy and make them start over again and with proper decorum next time.

Marty Tennant
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 08:52:03 AM »

Good detective work Lee.  Something smells in Denmark.

Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.
GTOWN BUSINESS OWNER

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 09:25:39 AM »

Something that a lot of these politicians are overlooking.  PRIVATE CITIZENS are the ones that own the property and it is their money that will be spent to rebuild.  Yes, they may get some financial help but they are the ones that will be paying for what is built, so they should be the ones that have a significant input.  They are the ones that will own what is built, not the city.

I know it was mentioned by either Jack or Vida, the possibility of the city condemning the property and seizing it.  They were reminded that the property owners could simply just not pay their taxes on the property.  (Not pay your taxes, Jack is familiar with that you know)  Then after the property was sold on the court house steps, that the property owners would still have a year to buy it back.  You know an investor is not gong to put a penny into a piece of property that could be bought back for the taxes and a little bit of interest.  This would delay the whole process by almost two years.

Prime example of the politicians trying to throw their weight around thinking they are dealing with idiots.  The little business owners are smarter than the are being giving credit for.  And these type of threats being made by a mayor that can't even pay his own taxes.

GBO
Lee Padgett

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 10:20:31 AM »

Well said  GBO!!!  This is probably the death knell of Vida's attempt at reelection. If she is willing to be a part of these types of back room deals I will vote for he who sells stem cells questionably and votes fiscally like a Democrat.

Lee Padgett

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 04:35:49 PM »

It appears the Limpin Janes dude was named Shepler not Hepler so no conspiracy there.. They look quite a bit alike so unless there was a change of names they appear not be related.

Lee Padgett

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 09:47:39 AM »

Email sent to Council and Mayor:

Good Morning Council and Mayor,

I have some serious concerns about the handling of the "committee" that did the RFQ for the Architectural team to work on the Front Street project.

1. The precedent that was set when Ls3P was given a pass on missing the 4pm Friday the 14th deadline. There have been numerous vendors in the past that have missed deadlines and were not given special treatment. A recent example was the Pawleys Island firm that missed the deadline on the Charette signage. This does not show the City in a good light. This company may have been the best and I am not doubting the validity of that but the process that leaves a black eye on the City.

2. Violating the open meetings law. This committee as defined by FOIA is a "public body". Not advertising these meetings and such was another mar on the character of this City. People are upset over the speculation of "what are they trying to hide".  See the FOIA section below:

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t30c004.php

(a) "Public body" means any department of the State, a majority of directors or their representatives of departments within the executive branch of state government as outlined in Section 1-30-10, any state board, commission, agency, and authority, any public or governmental body or political subdivision of the State, including counties, municipalities, townships, school districts, and special purpose districts, or any organization, corporation, or agency supported in whole or in part by public funds or expending public funds, including committees, subcommittees, advisory committees, and the like of any such body by whatever name known, and includes any quasi-governmental body of the State and its political subdivisions, including, without limitation, bodies such as the South Carolina Public Service Authority and the South Carolina State Ports Authority. Committees of health care facilities, which are subject to this chapter, for medical staff disciplinary proceedings, quality assurance, peer review, including the medical staff credentialing process, specific medical case review, and self-evaluation, are not public bodies for the purpose of this chapter.

3. The entering into an executive session because of a member of the public showing up at this past Monday's meeting was a travesty. The procurement process does not allow for this to be in secret nor does the open meetings law. This "committee" was formed, to my understanding, to select from the list of respondents. Only Council can enter into a contractual agreement, therefore executive session for the selection of a recommendation.

This process needs to be scrapped and re-requested for proposals again and the law followed to the T. Once again, I am not saying this was not the best firm for the job but the way they were chosen leaves many suspicions and unanswered questions. For the sake of the reputation of this City please give this process another go.

I have submitted a FOIA for the minutes and recordings of these meetings. The completion of this FOIA will determine the next steps to be taken in order to show this process was illegal.

Thank you for your time and consideration of this email,

Lee Padgett

Marty Tennant
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 09:55:06 AM »

good work Lee!

Lee Padgett

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 10:01:16 AM »

Barring the fragment of a sentence..  Thanks..   I do not expect a response.

Lee Padgett

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 09:52:59 AM »

Hear ye Hear ye,

Pick up today's paper.. It is Ard v Scoville again. Ard takes the City to task and deservedly so over these clandestine meetings, which Vida Miller apparently thinks is OK. I guess she learned screw the taxpayers 101 from Scoville. Also the wording where Jack all but says the City is going to have oversight and input on the buildings shows that the property owners will have to consent to whatever the King chooses. This has to end. And to all those that thought Jack was the better choice to lead the City after the fire--THANKS BUNCHES!!

This process is going to be painful for the Rogers and Ard and others. I am guessing since they are in the thick of things the Po Boys crowd is ok with it all.

Lee Padgett

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 09:54:33 AM »

And as a side note--- is this what Vida's 600.00 donation to Jack's campaign bought her? She gave during the primary and general. They all need to go!!! 

Lee Padgett

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »

Quote of the day----

Scoville said that all the property owners were not included in the committee because they are only one segment of the stakeholders.

Take heed and caution people. This is the mindset that controls our City.

Lee Padgett

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 04:31:49 PM »

http://www.egovlink.com/public_documents300/georgetown/published_documents/Departments/Finance/Purchasing_Ordinance_Sept2010.pdf

see 2-187 . page 12.  Jack says they followed the City's procurement ordinance. Really? Where does it state a hands on approach. Any employee of the City with the exception of the Administrator or his designee being present at the meetings constituted a use of public funds to support and thereby becomes a public meeting under FOIA. Vida Miller nor Jack Scoville had any business in the midst of this. NONE. And I am still not sure this committee since supported in whole or in part by public funds ie the Admin would allow it to be beyond the scope of FOIA and public. BUT-- When he did his executive session bit Jack BROKE THE LAW!!! 

When the FOIA is complete I am going to take my money and file with the circuit court to prove this was not on the up and up. City procurement codes do not trump open and transparent Government.

Marty Tennant
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 04:49:05 PM »

Get a courtesy summons.  It is a criminal violation of law in the FOIA.

Lee Padgett

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 09:24:17 PM »

Thanks Marty. Will save a few bucks and hopefully the end result will be a slap on the wrist for the City at the minimum.

GTOWN BUSINESS OWNER

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 08:42:35 AM »

Lee,

Here is something worth you finding out if you don't already know.  Find out who is on that "committee".  You have Jack and then you have several people who are in positions under Jack.  When you add those people up they already have a majority on the committee.  And they do not have any of their money in the pot.  Sounds fair, right?  The property owners are not getting their fair input. 

GBO
matter of fact

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 12:41:46 PM »

Looks like an overreach of government.  Neither the City nor Jack own that property. The only thing that the City has the right to do is to make certain current ARB standards and building codes are followed or the City could take the property by eminent domain and pay fair market value, but it would have to declare the public use intended. Any dissatified owner should sue the city, that would hold everything up, the City would lose in the end and Jack would waste more tax dollars because of his ignorance.
Lee Padgett

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 04:34:21 PM »

No minutes no recordings. Vida Miller chose the committee. No examples of the law that said Jack could come in like the gestapo and take control of the meetings and call for an illegal executive session since Ard was in attendance. Nothing. Time to research the courtesy summons and get going. 

Marty Tennant
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 08:17:51 AM »

http://www.southstrandnews.com/article/20140430/GTT06/140439999/1126/SSN

No Scott Harper again!

Vida Miller is making $125 an hour doing her "consulting" and "coordination" magic?

Aren't her duties better done by our $100,000 a year plus city administrator?

Who approved the city paying Vida Miller this money?

Lee Padgett

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 10:48:33 AM »

When she was "hired" at that meeting of Council last year my understanding was 50$ an hour. It reeks as bad as the process that went down with this firm. I grant you when that proposed preliminary "look" that I understand was presented to the City and property owners when the fire originally happened was drawn by this firm.

Lee Padgett

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 02:52:27 PM »

People on FB are saying basically that Jayroe is holding up progress. Geez. The simpletons. If they would read and comprehend it would be clear to them but no, they read a headline and start spewing at the mouth. How well trained the Gubment has it's sheeple.

matter of fact

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2014, 07:48:25 PM »

Vida Miller a consultant, what a Joke. If she's a consultant, Jamie is David Axerod.
Lee Padgett

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2014, 08:53:01 PM »

Just an update. The committee meetings held by the suspect group of individuals was to have followed the following.

Sec. 2-17. Special committees.permanent link to this piece of content

The mayor or city council may appoint special committees consisting of council members, staff or citizens to study issues and make recommendations to council. Such committees may hold public hearings if authorized by the mayor or council. Committee meetings shall be public except as exempted by the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act. Reports or minutes of meetings held by special committees shall be filed with the municipal clerk as public records.

The FOIA response I got said they had no recordings and no minutes. I say they were illegally held and Carol Jayroe was correct in calling for a REDO!

IWCCTTT

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2019, 09:30:02 AM »

Speaking of asking where the money went for the port dredging. Where did the money go to rebuild Front Street? Vida Miller and a couple of cronies walked away with a boat load of money but the empty block is still there on Front Street. Where did the money disappear to?

Can one of the city council candidates ask for information? Jeanatte? You were personally affected by the fire.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: