The Citizens' Report
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 18, 2017, 06:09:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
24822 Posts in 3914 Topics by 320 Members
Latest Member: SMW
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The Citizens' Report
|-+  South Carolina
| |-+  Georgetown County SC
| | |-+  Politics and Current Events
| | | |-+  And the mill is still closed. FOR GOOD!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: And the mill is still closed. FOR GOOD!  (Read 1700 times)
concernedperson

« on: May 21, 2016, 08:26:18 AM »

With the port not getting dredged and the steel mill being abandoned what in the world in Georgetown government doing to better our city and county? Why is the local press silent on these important issues? I am concerned the working class of this city and county have been forgotten again.

GEORGETOWN, SC-     Dozens of workers left the Georgetown steel mill today for perhaps the last time. The plant officially closes August 13, but has already stopped production.

News 13 spoke to several workers as they exited the gate. The company ArcelorMittal owns multiple plants across the country and those laid off in Georgetown were promised priority in hiring at those plants.

The city of Georgetown will lose 226 jobs in the process.

Tupelo Humes worked as First Caster at the mill and made over $70,000 a year. He started working at the plant when he was 16 years-old.

“It’s always been an up and down road,” stated Humes.

Humes said he’s seen the mill shut down three times.

“They usually come back and I believe this they’ll still come back,” he predicted.

Humes plans to move to Indiana and stay there.

“Making steel is all I know, but I would be willing to venture off if I had to,” said Humes.

Georgetown Mayor Jack Scoville said the steel mill’s closure will hurt the economy, but not destroy it.

“10 years ago when they shut down, I think we lost 800 jobs in the community, so that was a bigger hit,” said Scoville.

There are industrial opportunities nearby, such as the new industrial park in Andrews, Boeing and Volvo in Charleston.

“Things are really positive in this part of the state, maybe not right here in Georgetown,” he explained.

Georgetown is seeing growth in the retail and tourism, according to Scoville.

Retail and hospitality jobs don’t pay as much as industry positions, but Scoville said it’s better than nothing. He’d like to see more industry in Georgetown; however, Winyah Bay needs to be dredge and the port opened first.

Share this:
JW

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 10:17:47 PM »

How did I miss that story. Tupelo has moved out of Georgetown? Oh happy day. Good bye Tupelo.
Tupelo Humes

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 09:45:07 PM »

Move??? Lol Not hardly!!! International Paper loves me!!!! And dont count out the steel mill!!! The market is back, and James never rests!!!
Marty Tennant
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 08:41:47 AM »

Just looked at steel prices and yes they are rising.  Is it possible that the Steel Mill could be re-opened?

Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.
Tupelo Humes

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 11:59:48 AM »

Very much possible Marty!! They spent all of the taxpayers money for that "group" to come here for nothing! Im looking for Mr.Mittal to take the "for sale" sign down!! US Steel profited 51million last quarter!!! Never count us out!!
Marty Tennant
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 12:53:12 PM »

I assume you are voting Trump in order to protect US industries from illegal dumping of cheap foreign imports, like steel?

Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.
Tupelo Humes

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 01:06:50 PM »

The steel industry would shut completely down before i vote for that clown! 😂
Marty Tennant
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 01:21:44 PM »

Your choice. Clean up the cesspool or continue to fertilize the DC FOOLS? Vote Trump!

Tupelo Humes

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 08:47:31 PM »

Hillary by a landslide!! Remember where you heard it first!
Lee Padgett

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 06:26:52 AM »

Hillary was in a landslide. At the bottom of the heap of rubble. I would like to thank Trump for two things---He ended the Bush and Clinton political dynasties and crushed their sense of political entitlement. If nothing else gets done he has improved America in that respect.

"The death of objectivism and small government can be attributed to emotional politics." Liberty Laura
Marty Tennant
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 11:52:07 AM »

Sorry Tupelo.  On the wrong side of history my friend.

Tupelo Humes

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 01:26:33 PM »

Mr.Trump won and you have to respect that. I refuse to hate him like so many hated Obama for no reason. In his victory speech, he sounded nothing like the arrogant man who was campaigning. He sounded sincere, he spoke of representing all. We'll see.
Lee Padgett

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 07:11:47 AM »

And the Dems unmercifully mocked and attacked Bush and the Repubs prior to that did the same to Clinton. It is a sick side of our political thought process. How I wish and pray to end this 2 party system we live under. The tender snowflakes on both sides take offense when their candidate is vilified. So the answer is to stop vilifying. Take on policy not the person. As Trump showed us during the process mockery is a powerful tool to degrade the person in the eyes of the public. I still blame Alinsky for teaching both sides of the aisle these vile political tactics.

"The death of objectivism and small government can be attributed to emotional politics." Liberty Laura
JW

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 11:00:38 AM »

Today is Thanksgiving day. I am thankful that nasty, polluting Steel Mill and the Sandersons are now quite here in Georgetown.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!
Amazing2Me2

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 01:19:32 PM »

ArcelorMittal stills owns the plant and I have not heard of any progress related to the plans proposed by the Urban Land Institute. When the property is purchased by someone else and development begins, the steel mill will be gone. For now, the idle site just makes Georgetown look more rundown.
JW

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 03:48:33 PM »

Surely everyone realizes this is just another ruse to keep the plantation dwellers quiet while Jack and little buddy Paige get their hotel plans up. You see we cannot have anything downtown until those two clowns get their payout. Two broke wannabes cashing in. Nothing unusual there.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: