The Citizens' Report
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2017, 03:58:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
24712 Posts in 3883 Topics by 318 Members
Latest Member: Redstone
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The Citizens' Report
|-+  South Carolina
| |-+  Georgetown County SC
| | |-+  Politics and Current Events
| | | |-+  MY PUBLIC COMMENTS BEFORE CITY COUNCIL TONIGHT
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: MY PUBLIC COMMENTS BEFORE CITY COUNCIL TONIGHT  (Read 119 times)
Marty Tennant
Administrator

« on: April 20, 2017, 06:46:50 PM »

MR. MAYOR AND COUNCIL

THE LAST TIME I CAME BEFORE THE CITY COUNCIL AS A WHOLE TO SPEAK TO YOU WAS IN FEB. OF 2010.
I HOPE WE ARE ALL OLDER AND WISER NOW.

MY TOPICS THEN ARE THE SAME AS TONIGHT --- TRUCK TRAFFIC ON BLACK RIVER RD AND CITY FINANCES.

BACK IN JAN. OF 2010, I ADDRESSED THE ISSUE OF HEAVY TRUCK TRAFFIC HITTING PERFECTLY LOCATED
MANHOLES AND CAUSING HOMES, INCLUDING MINE, AND THE HOSPITAL, TO VIOLENTLY SHAKE, LIKE MINI-EARTHQUAKES.

THE CITY ATTORNEY WAS TASKED BY THE MAYOR WITH RESEARCHING IF THE CITY COULD BAN THRU TRUCK
TRAFFIC ON BLACK RIVER RD., OR IF THE STATE WOULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR SUCH A BAN.

IN THE FEBRUARY 2010 MEETING, I STARTED OUT BY ASKING IF THE CITY ATTORNEY HAD ANY ANSWERS
TO THE RESEARCH SHE WAS REQUESTED TO UNDERTAKE. IT TURNS OUT SHE DID NOT.

I WOULD LIKE TO ASK AGAIN FOR THIS LEGAL RESEARCH TO BE DONE, SINCE IT IS
MY UNDERSTANDING THAT THE SCDOT HAS ACQUIRED ADDITIONAL RIGHT OF WAY IN FRONT ON TONY'S PIZZA TO
MAKE THE RIGHT TURN IN FRONT OF TONY'S EASIER FOR TRUCKS GOING TO THE LANDFILL. YOU CAN SEE THIS
WORK BEING DONE TODAY.

MY SECOND TOPIC, BEFORE I WAS SO RUDELY INTERRUPTED 7 YEARS AGO, WAS REGARDING CITY FINANCES,
SPECIFICALLY THE ISSUE OF APPROX. 21 MILLION IN UNRESTRICTED ASSETS.

DURING THE RECENT BUDGET WORKSHOP, IT WAS COUNCILMEMBER BARBER WHO IRONICALLY ASKED IF THE
PRACTICE OF TRANSFERRING FUNDS FROM ENTERPRISE OPERATIONS TO THE GENERAL FUND, WAS LEGAL IN LIGHT
OF THE SUPREME COURT DECISION AZAR V. CITY OF COLUMBIA. WE ARE ON TRACK IN THE LATEST BUDGET
TO TRANSFER 1.4 MILLION.

I TOO AM CONCERNED ABOUT THE LEGALITY OF THESE TRANSFERS IN LIGHT OF THE SC SUPREME COURT DECISION.
THE CITY OF COLUMBIA STOPPED DOING THESE TRANSFERS OUT OF THEIR WATER FUND, AND I ASK YOU TO
PLEASE RESEARCH IF IT TRULY IS LEGAL FOR US TO CONTINUE THIS PRACTICE.

AS YOU PROBABLY KNOW, I'M RUNNING FOR MAYOR AND CITY COUNCIL. I HOPE THAT IN THE NEAR FUTURE,
I CAN BE ASKED TO COME AROUND THE PODIUM, INSTEAD OF SOMEONE OFFERING TO COME AROUND TO MY SIDE.
I RESPECTFULLY REQUEST THAT THE CLERK INCLUDE THE ENTIRETY OF MY REMARKS IN THE RECORD.

THANK YOU.

Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: