The Citizens' Report
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 18, 2017, 06:12:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
24822 Posts in 3914 Topics by 320 Members
Latest Member: SMW
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The Citizens' Report
|-+  South Carolina
| |-+  Georgetown County SC
| | |-+  Politics and Current Events
| | | |-+  Tax and Spend Tax and Spend-- The City's Reckless Fiscal Behavior
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tax and Spend Tax and Spend-- The City's Reckless Fiscal Behavior  (Read 302 times)
Lee Padgett

« on: May 03, 2017, 10:02:34 AM »

Tax increases, tax increases, and more tax increases. The City of Georgetown has now proposed hiring a janitor and a public information officer. How will these positions be paid? Through, what else, an increase in your water bills and storm water bills. An illegal use of enterprise monies, at least the Supreme Court took that stand with the City of Columbia. In a nut shell the state law reads if and only if the enterprises are paying for themselves and are kept up to date with the money derived from these funds can a municipality or country rob from Peter to pay Paul. Well the City has robbed Peter to the point that we have seen increase after increase after increase since 2005 and no upgrades, repairs etc paid for out of these funds. What has the City done to begin infrastructure updates you may ask.?. Why they are using bonds. That is right, bonds. When the water system bank account gets low they buy property with it such as Eagle Electric (700,000 of our water revenues paid towards the purchase of said property) instead of applying the excess revenues to important issues such as storm water drainage upgrades to Maryville or the West End or the Historic District. Now the citizens are being asked to pay for their negligence and shortsightedness AGAIN!

If one combines these increases with our State Legislatures own shortcomings in dealing with a broken DOT by raising gas taxes, sales taxes on vehicles (boats included), drivers license fees, and converts property taxes on commercial vehicles to a fee! Why? Well the answer is simple: to have borrowing power. Borrowing power for the State Transportation Infrastructure Bank. A corrupt enterprise powered by just a few legislative heads in Columbia in particular Hugh K Leatherman. For more in this read the following: http://www.scpolicycouncil.org/featured/senate-gastax-2017

This all hits the most vulnerable in society, the working poor, those on fixed incomes such as social security or disability. The ones Democrats say they stand for yet the only people that prosper under Democrat rule seems to be Government and those that deal with the Government and the people be damned.

When I ran unsuccessfully for council two years ago one part of my platform was the creation of a public works commission for the City (much like Greenwood has) to stop the illegal flow of our enterprise funds to projects other than upgrades and repairs. I hope one of the candidates running will pick that issue up and run with. Expanding Government is never anything I advocate but as Council and the Mayor have shown us, fiscal responsibility is not part of their vernacular. Instead they prefer to act immorally, irresponsibly, and recklessly with our hard-earned money. I am tired of it. I am sick of it. I implore everyone to attend the Council meeting on May 18th. Let your voices be heard on these ridiculous positions and increases. Administrator Gardner said in the Times today that a janitorial position will save the City $30,000 a year. How? How? When you take future raises, the cost of our already doomed pension fund as well as healthcare into the equation what exactly will be the savings in 2 or 3 years? Do we have a cleaning company that comes in daily, is that why a private company is making so much? Can City employees not empty their own trash cans in a bin daily and have once weekly clean up done? Or twice monthly? Can they not do like the majority of privately owned entities and take a little pride and run a vacuum or dust mop or wet mop when things are slow?

Please take a breath and pause and think long and hard when you vote in June in the Democrat primary and I urge everyone to vote in that primary. Vote for common sense, fiscal responsibility and accountability. The only person running that would carry these important traits to that podium is Marty Tennant. For the sake of this City and itís people and our wallets, END THE STATUS QUO. 

"The death of objectivism and small government can be attributed to emotional politics." Liberty Laura
Lee Padgett

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 06:05:28 PM »

So, after a little investigation it seems the janitorial position is as presented. A savings to the City IE the Taxpayers. However; Public Info officer??  Really? And when will anything get cut from the budget instead of consistently adding to? When?

"The death of objectivism and small government can be attributed to emotional politics." Liberty Laura
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: