The Citizens' Report
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2019, 08:46:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25166 Posts in 4000 Topics by 320 Members
Latest Member: SMW
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The Citizens' Report
|-+  South Carolina
| |-+  Georgetown County SC
| | |-+  Politics and Current Events
| | | |-+  ARB controversy stirs up the s#!t
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ARB controversy stirs up the s#!t  (Read 973 times)
Marty Tennant
Administrator

« on: March 28, 2018, 10:37:48 AM »

https://www.southstrandnews.com/news/miller-resigns-from-city-s-arb-padgett-to-fill-remainder/article_6f9aa3c6-3102-11e8-a04c-cb78c61b3a54.html

Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.
Tom Rubillo

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 05:18:28 PM »

Elected officials decide who serves on city boards, not the board members themselves or the chairman of the board in question.  Mr. Miller was way out of line on insisting that his wishes be followed in making appointments or reappointments.  As a lawyer and a candidate (unsuccessful) for city council, he should have been aware of this allocation of governmental authority.  What happened here is pretty silly, really.   When he thought he wasn't going to get get his way and his candidate was not going to be reappointed, he took his ball and went home.  Of course, as every kid learns in 1st grade, when you do that you end up with nobody to play with.  That's what happened here.  He didn't resign to "make way" for the reappointment of anyone.  He resigned because his demand that he be able to control over appointments was rejected -- that nobody would play ball by his rules.  Ironically, the person he wanted to be reappointed was, in fact, reappointed to a full term.  Lee Padgett was appointed to fill the unexpired term of Mr. Miller.  What that suggests is that Lee was second in line, behind the member who was reappointed to a full term and that Lee would not have ended up on the ARB at this time if Mr. Miller had not gotten himself worked up and quit.  But really, as far as I'm concerned, I'm glad that things worked out as they did.  Two very qualified candidates have been seated on the ARB. Both will serve the residents of Georgetown well and honorably.   There has been an orderly transition, all with an infusion of new blood and new ideas.  Life goes on.       
IWCCTTT

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 10:42:40 AM »

This would have never happened if BLACK JACK or Ron the CHARLATAN had won that election. Georgetown is changing for the better under the leadership of our new mayor.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: