The Citizens' Report
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2019, 07:57:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25166 Posts in 4000 Topics by 320 Members
Latest Member: SMW
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The Citizens' Report
|-+  South Carolina
| |-+  Georgetown County SC
| | |-+  Politics and Current Events
| | | |-+  City - Former Administrator, sued over Scoville sign controversy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: City - Former Administrator, sued over Scoville sign controversy  (Read 1209 times)
Marty Tennant
Administrator

« on: July 09, 2018, 08:31:34 AM »

Original criminal littering charges dropped against Mercer. Bill Duncan to the rescue!

http://gabnewsonline.com/lawsuit-against-city-and-gardner-alleges-man-was-charged-with-littering-for-p1884-90.htm

Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.
Lee Padgett

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 07:05:17 AM »

I pray he prevails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The death of objectivism and small government can be attributed to emotional politics." Liberty Laura
concernedperson

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 01:11:32 PM »

I must have missed this article in the Georgetown WASTE OF MY Times? Charges dropped? The property owner who just happens to be a lawyer is representing this guy against the city. You cannot make this stuff up. Go get 'em Bill.
Lee Padgett

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 08:42:29 PM »

And the case has been transferred to Federal Court at the City's request.

"The death of objectivism and small government can be attributed to emotional politics." Liberty Laura
Marty Tennant
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 08:12:56 AM »

Are you joking? Federal court?

Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.
Lee Padgett

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 02:42:53 PM »

Not joking. Mercer's complaint was amended and the language got much stronger alleging Constitutional violations. The City's response was to transfer to Federal and their response is now on pacer. More $$$$ for City attorneys... Why wasn't a settlement offered?

Marty Tennant
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 06:25:16 PM »

They settled with me on a false arrest and equal protection claim I made against them after I was prosecuted over my sign. The charges were dropped by the City and they paid me $5,000 to settle.

Seems like a less expensive way to resolve this.

Once you go to federal court, the lawyers start making big bucks, and I can see the cost of defending this action exceeding $5K easily.

What exactly is the problem with the City of Georgetown!???

Lee Padgett

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 08:20:57 PM »

Given that circuit court judges tend to be much more Government friendly this just boggles the mind. It will be easier in Fed Court to get Gardner away from qualified immunity and go after him personally. Maybe the City is throwing him under the bus!

concernedperson

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 08:57:28 PM »

Jack Scoundrel got beat a year ago and yet he is still costing us taxpayers more money. Jack's ego is costing us money people. Thank goodness we beat him. Can Brendon not tell the city attorney to settle this and end Jack's personal vendetta?
Lee Padgett

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 02:46:56 PM »

Since the infamous SMIRF has it unfortunately it is in the hands of the attorneys. Let the billables flow!!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: