Author Topic: Malicious hacking?  (Read 1335 times)

Tom Rubillo

Malicious hacking?
« on: December 13, 2019, 02:58:11 PM »
Rumor has it that the hospital's computer has been hacked and ransom demanded to get back access to records.  Any truth to that?

concernedperson

Re: Malicious hacking?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 04:47:52 PM »
Mr. Rubillo. You are blowing the whole Georgetown Times and GAB News staff to pieces. They had no idea this is going on even though most everyone already knew it yesterday. We cannot afford to have you running around town letting the dirty secrets the powerful people only need to know out. You must cease and desist your efforts to get the truth and news out to the masses. Oh, and Merry Christmas to you Mr. Mayor!

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
    • Marty Tennant the PC Doctor
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 12:53:10 PM »
News reports indicate a "virus." I suspect it is a ransomware attack and they are being held hostage until they pay up.

Not being honest and transparent on issues like this raises red flags.
Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.

concernedperson

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 02:14:15 PM »
Once again looks like Scott Harper can thank the Citizens Report for being his news source. Nothing in the waste of my Times. No honesty in this town. Even with your health care. Maybe those foreigner doctors that sued James E. Sanderson, Jr. are behind the ransom?

concernedperson

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 01:05:52 PM »
The ransom is still going on at Georgetown Hospital for their computer files. But the local paper is not covering it? Why is that? If you need your records they do not have them. Someone should be held responsible for those records being gone. Is anyone paying attention?

JW

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 04:08:10 PM »
You have to pay attention to see what is being covered up. The internet provider for the hospital did not have the proper security in place. It was not the hospital's fault. Look deeper grasshopper.

Tom Rubillo

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 07:53:49 PM »
If this is true and, because of security b breach in the hospital's computer system, there is either no access or limited access to medical records, it is a VERY serious problem.  .  Lack of access to someone's medical records in an emergency -- a heart attack, stroke or other medical crisis or serious bodily injury could have catastrophic effects, particularly if a patient is unconscious.  Allergies to medications, other chronic medical conditions suffered by the patient that can have an impact on treatment decisions and the like are just a few of the serious problems that can arise.  I'm sure physicians, physicians and nurses could list a great deal more.  People -- infants, young folks, middle aged folks and/or old folks -- could dies or suffer serious debilitating (but otherwise avoidable) consequences.  The longer the underlying problem of a lack of access to medical record lasts, the greater the risk becomes.                      If the hospital has contracted with some computer security firm to protect medical records, that firm needs to put its liability insurance carrier on notice.  The hospital should contact its insurer too and let it know what is going on. This is particularly important if it does its own IT work. So should all the treating physicians who have records stored on the computer.  Failure to provide an insurer with notice of a potential claim can be used by an insurance company as an excuse to deny coverage.  Everyone should check their policy closely, particularly about the obligation to promptly notify the insurer when there is a potential of a claim.   Meanwhile, I have no doubt that, if this problem has persisted for several weeks that the FBI and SLED are all over it, tracking down whatever they can in an effort to find out who is responsible and bring them to justice.                        If anything, the lesson here shouldn't be lost on anyone -- not doctors, lawyers, accountants, the school district, local governments, big and small businesses or anyone else who keeps records on a computer -- NO MATTER WHAT YOU THINK, ELECTRONICALLY STORED DATA IS NOT SECURE IF THE COMPUTER WHERE IT IS STORED IS CONNECTED IN ANY WAY TO THE INTERNET.  YOU REALLY NEED TO KEEP EVERYTHING ON A STAND ALONE COMPUTER BACKUP SYSTEM THAT IS NOT CONNECTED IN ANY TO THE INTERNET.  IF YOU DON'T, YOU'RE PLAYING RUSSIAN ROULETTE.                        Meanwhile, fasten your seat belts.  If this story is true and somebody dies or becomes disabled because vital information about them slipped through the cracks in the meantime, it means there will be full employment for attorneys.

IWCCTTT

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 05:15:43 PM »
OK so who is the internet supplier to the hospital? Asking for a friend.

concernedperson

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 09:38:07 AM »
Mr. Rubillo will you represent a family member of mine who has been denied access to their medical records? This might be a class action suit before it is over with all the people who have had problems with not getting their records.

Tom Rubillo

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 04:18:13 PM »
I'm 76 years old and retired from the practice of law a dozen years ago.  Sorry, but I won't be around long enough to see a class action to its conclusion.