Author Topic: steel mill, positive development  (Read 128 times)

Tom Rubillo

steel mill, positive development
« on: March 19, 2020, 03:27:02 PM »
The mayor met with the plant manager at the steel mill a month or more ago to discuss clean=up of the property from Wood to Dozier/Front to the Sampit.  Both agreed that the property is valuable and needed to be cleaned up and put to some better use.  (Some members of council have complained that they weren't invited to the meeting, but that's all just sour grapes.  They are legislators and have no proper role in these sorts of neighborly discussions between executives.) As is now quite apparent, these conversations have borne fruit.  The steel mill has taken down a large part of the old, unused towers and structures on the property and cut up the metal for resale or reuse as scrap.  There is also some work painting and sprucing up going on.  More work will follow.  Meanwhile, mill executives now realize that they enjoy a cordial and cooperative relationship with the city that, over time, will prove beneficial to both the company and its neighbors.  That's a good think, all brought about by the mature, thoughtful tactful and quite diplomatic efforts of the mayor and the mill manager.  They are both to be commended for that.      Progress may come slowly, but when local government and the business sector sit and listen to the concerns of one another, progress can be made.  This small piece of movement forward proves that point.  My hat is off to both executives.  Thanks. 

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
    • Marty Tennant the PC Doctor
Re: steel mill, positive development
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 12:34:45 PM »
Good news! Thanks Tom.
Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.