Author Topic: Port does not get dredged. Tax money given away?  (Read 1885 times)

IWCCTTT

Port does not get dredged. Tax money given away?
« on: September 08, 2020, 02:17:40 PM »
So let me get this straight. The port will not be dredged and the six million dollars in tax money collected and budgeted for dredging will now be given away by the council members to help them get re-elected? What in the world are we doing in this county? Where is James Sanderson? The union has claimed if the port is not dredged the mill is done.

Each of Georgetown County’s seven council districts will get $1 million worth of projects from the surplus raised by the capital surplus sales tax, under a plan presented to council members last week. Each member was asked to come up with two projects.

Tom Rubillo

Re: Port does not get dredged. Tax money given away?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 04:52:56 PM »
Outrageous pork barrel politics.  If it ain't illegal, it oughta be.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
    • Marty Tennant the PC Doctor
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 08:21:04 AM »
Source: https://coastalobserver.com/council-members-will-get-1m-in-sales-tax-surplus-for-district-projects/

The original thinking on this was that the $6 million, originally earmarked for dredging, would be allocated for some form of capital improvement project that would benefit the City of Georgetown.

I originally suggested that a new main library be built, with the old library being given to the City for use as their new City Hall.

I am opposed to this method of "getting rid of the money."  It's like candy store dimes and pennies to these elected officials.

Be very sure about this. They have to get rid of the money so they can then propose a new sales tax levy for who-knows-what.

Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.

PBSIAT

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 05:16:01 PM »
This is not fair. Paige Sawyer does not get to spread any of this pork barrel money? Paige could have used this money to help his racist Sons of the Confederacy buddies out with some of this.

IWCCTTT

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 08:42:29 AM »
Has the Georgetown Times just completely checked out of reporting the news again? No mention of this wasting of tax money that was supposed to be spent on dredging. Dredging must happen to keep our port open and usable. And what about the closing of the local cable company? The silence of the Times about real news is just out of line.

Tom Rubillo

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 02:39:51 PM »
How about simply dredging the mouth of the Sampit at the entrance to Front Street for  commercial fishermen and recreational boaters who visit the marinas along Front Street?  Dredging money was used to keep the entrances to Murrells Inlet open for commercial and recreational boaters there, so why not in our historic city?

concernedperson

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 02:48:00 PM »
Tom that would be the smart thing to do but this is Georgetown. We are too busy wasting tax money and stealing tax money to do anything smart. Isn't there some law that goes with this one cent sales tax that says they cannot do this. If I remember correctly some county like Lexington is in the middle of lawsuits for misappropriating this type money.

forklift driver

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 06:55:42 PM »
Has anyone seen James E. Sanderson, Jr.? A few years ago he would have been running for the reporters to tell them the port must be dredged. But I haven't seen James in weeks. Has he been bought off or left town?

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
    • Marty Tennant the PC Doctor
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 08:51:47 AM »
Sel Hemingway was concerned about how to legally spend the money on a purpose that wasn't pitched to the voters.

Tom's suggestion to do local dredging is one way.

The main thing Sel said was that it had to be something that involved economic development.

Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.

IWCCTTT

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 11:55:05 AM »
So who has the money and balls to file against the county for using the money improperly? It takes a lot of money to get a suit like this started and run.

Tom Rubillo

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 02:29:50 PM »
What about that group of self-anointed citizens who sued the city over the city hall contract? 

solo

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 05:11:23 PM »
Fill in the hole from Goat Island to Bayview that was dynamited to make the Ports Dock.  River changes direction, flushes the body of water behind town and no dredging needed.

Tom Rubillo

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 07:08:24 PM »
Or, perhaps, use the passageway created when Goat Island was separated from Bayview in the first place as the spoil area for the silt and other material dredged from the entrance to the Front Street channel of the Sampit, producing, at least in part, the same result as suggested by Solo.