Author Topic: Brownfield cleanup story  (Read 2281 times)

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
    • Marty Tennant the PC Doctor
Brownfield cleanup story
« on: November 18, 2020, 10:25:49 PM »
I have a sister that lives in Gainesville FL.

She asked me to post this about an industrial site there that was cleaned up and turned into a park.

They had to haul away a lot of dirt!

http://www.depotpark.org/history
Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.

Georgetown Times lies

Re: Brownfield cleanup story
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 10:06:46 AM »
The time has come for some leadership and editorializing. Where is the city council? Where is the Georgetown Times? Years ago people like Jessie Tullos and even radio station owner Don Johnson would be talking how important our environment is. The time for action is now.

I can even hear Chris Ling raising his voice about cleaning up the abandoned steel mill site!

JW

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 10:51:06 AM »
The Steel Mill is going no where. Mr. James Sanderson will get it started back up soon. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Tom Rubillo

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 02:29:50 PM »
Environmental clean-up requires a lot of hard work -- good paying work -- all of which is paid for originally by EPA.  It is left entirely to EPA to seek reimbursement.  Meanwhile, the entire community benefits, both by the payroll earned by workers and from the outcome.    Go to EPA's web site and click on "Superfund" or "brownfield" and you'll find all the details. 

Thanks Marty for your posting.  It is exactly the sort of educational/political/public policy and planning information that, at its heart and soul, this website was designed to contribute to an intelligent discussion about the path Georgetown should take in the future.  Great posting.  Great job.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 05:54:23 PM »
Thanks! All credit to my big sister Loretta in Florida. She likes you too!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 09:05:24 AM by Marty Tennant »
Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.

concernedperson

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 07:46:15 PM »
Mr Rubillo you have the stature and leadership Georgetown needs to move forward. I suggested to two council members they form a blue ribbon committee headed by you to get the mill site cleaned up. They both would not make any commitments.

JW

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 01:54:06 PM »
Why is it every time someone like the concerned asks Tom Rubillo to step up and take on the Steel Mill he goes silent?

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 04:34:06 PM »
From the article.

"Environmental groups are likely to pressure the incoming Biden administration to revoke the rule."

Surfer

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 07:08:13 PM »
That's the judgment of TheHill's writer/editorial staff, but, yeah... Environmental groups probably will pressure President Biden to revoke the rule.

Tom Rubillo

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 01:57:02 PM »
JW  I haven't gone silent on the subject of cleaning up the environmental mess at the steel mill.  To the contrary, I've raised it many times both here and elsewhere.  Be that as it may, all it takes to start the process with EPA is to file an application with the regional office in Atlanta.  The entire process is laid out in detail on EPA's website.  But to get anywhere, that application has to be filed by either the local government or by a recognizable environmental or community group.  Once that's done, those who file it have to lobby state and federal elected officials--members of the Senate and House of Representatives--to push the application through the administrative process.  Here in Georgetown, the logical applicants include (but are not limited to) (1) the Georgetown City Council, (2) the Georgetown County Council, (3) the Waccamaw Regional Council, (4) the local chapter of the Sierra Club, (5) the Coastal Council, (6) environmental lawyers headquartered here in Georgetown, (7) the Georgetown County Democratic Party, (8) the Georgetown Republican Party, (9( the so-called "Georgetown Innovation Center" with always empty but nicely furnished offices on Front Street that always leaves the lights on but where nobody's ever home, (9) or even, believe it or not, the Local 7898 of the United Steelworkers of America whose members could stand first in line for the good paying jobs involved in cleanup.  The application would become even more politically compelling to state and federal Senators and Representatives if any number (or, even all) of these groups were to join in making the application.  That's the simple truth of the matter.

As far as the Biden Administration doing away with the Superfund program, that notion makes no sense at all.  In fact, raising that prospect sounds to me like just another "what's the use" excuse--the sort of negativity that infects the local body politic and has led to the sort of stagnation we've all seen and experienced over the past generation or more in and around Georgetown.  The truth of the matter is that environmental cleanup is one of many, many chores that will fuel the economy (locally and everywhere else the chore is undertaken) by creating large numbers of good paying jobs.  Additionally, a massive cleanup of environmental messes all around the country would be, in fact, a key component to improving America's "infrastructure" both by creating jobs while creating opportunities for investors of all sorts, large and small, to put the cleaned up lands to productive and profitable use.  And, of course, the same is true here in Georgetown.

Now, JW, as far as my involvement is concerned, I'm 77 years old but am nonetheless perfectly willing to participate in the application and lobbying process with any credible group of people.  I'll fill out the application.  I'll write letters to elected officials for those who are participating in the process.  While I'm not well enough to do much traveling, I go on lobbying trips to Columbia, Atlanta, and DC so long as I don't have to do any driving.  Et tu JW? 

PS:  This is a message for everyone.  Please stop hiding behind initials and aliases.  As Dabo Sweeney says, "bring your guts" to everything you do.  Have sufficient nerve to identify yourself in all your communications.  So-called "Hero Members" should not cower and hide in tall grass.  They should stand up and speak, write or otherwise communicate openly so that folks know just exactly who they are and can, judge for themselves the credibility of the speaker.