Author Topic: Eating some of my words.  (Read 1249 times)

Tom Rubillo

Eating some of my words.
« on: December 17, 2020, 05:39:08 PM »
I recently posted a lengthy tirade about the shabby appearance of the city.  Part of the criticism was directed at the unsightly appearance of the grass and weeds growing up in the cracks between the sidewalks and the curbs throughout the city, major roadways included.  Part pointed to shabby, abandoned and dilapidated buildings along the major roadways, including the abandoned mobile homes at the western entrance to town, the long vacant buildings on Fraser St. across from the steel mill, the deplorable state of "Potters Field" where bodies of the poor were never removed before construction began and where a long abandoned bank building and gymnasium still desecrate this otherwise consecrated site, and several similar problems along Merriman Road.  I stand by those criticisms.  But I have to admit that I have to eat my words when it comes to my accusation of indifference about abandoned buildings throughout the West End community.  Tupelo Humes have announced on his website that the city has received a $325,000 Community Development Block Grant to demolish 25 abandoned and decaying structures throughout the West End over the next 24 months.  That is very good news.  He and I had communicated about the problem over the past number of months after others within the city were otherwise apparently unresponsive to similar urging.  His efforts and advocacy have paid off for the people of the West End and, by extension, the all of the residents of the city.  The entire community will be safer and more attractive once this work is done.  My hat is off to those responsible.  To the extent that my criticism was premature or otherwise unwarranted, I certainly apologize.  To the extent that there remains much more to do to clean up the city, I urge further efforts to that end.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
    • Marty Tennant the PC Doctor
Re: Eating some of my words.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 08:17:49 AM »
How about the area behind Burger King? Lot's of abandoned "homes" there too.
Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.

IWCCTTT

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 02:01:09 PM »
How about the old Stalvey Communications building? It looks like it was bombed in WWII. A good fresh coat of paint would help.

Tom Rubillo

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 05:16:26 PM »
Elephants are eaten one bite at a time.  Long journeys are completed  by taking one step at a time.  The same is true for completing large tasks.  What I had proposed to the administration was completion of an inventory of eyesores all around the city, putting property owners on notice of code violations and enforcement of the existing code.  A somewhat different approach has been taken, one that focuses on one neighborhood at a time.  Since the West End has the largest number of problem properties, the city apparently has chosen to start there.  I've got no problem with any of that.  In fact, focusing in this way will help "oil the machinery" of government, demonstrating to those involved in the task at hand both how to accomplish it AND make apparent the positive results of their work -- reason to take pride in their work and accomplishments.  That can prove to be very motivating.     Meanwhile, as Joe Hill reportedly uttered as his last words, "Don't mourn, organize."