Author Topic: Paige, real estates license, steel mill  (Read 183 times)

PBSIAT

Paige, real estates license, steel mill
« on: November 03, 2021, 09:32:58 AM »
You would think Paige and Susan are the new mayor the way they are gloating. They are ready to sell condos on the old steel mill site today. Somebody needs to throw ice water on them. I hear Tupelo and his lame duck friends will be changing the zoning on the property back to heavy industrial before they leave office. The last laugh will be on Paige again?

Tom Rubillo

Re: Paige, real estates license, steel mill
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 01:21:49 PM »
There's not enough time to amend the zoning before January.  The issue would have to go before the Planning Commission for several public hearings first.  Then the Commission would have to vote on the proposal and make its recommendation to the City Council.  Once that body dots all the I's and crosses all the t's, the matter would have to come before Council for public input and three readings.  Any attempt to rush that process would invalidate a vote to change the ordinance.  Even then, the new Council could start the process all over again and change it back.

The best thing to do now is simply acknowledge that the mill isn't going to reopen and move forward with the process of applying to the EPA for cleanup assistance.  Senators Scott and Graham's offices could be very helpful and effective in speeding that process along.  All it will take is a little hard work by the newly elected Republican majority on Council.  A note to them:  Being elected isn't the same as winning a beauty contest, so don't strut around and be proud of yourself.  It is the office that is important, not the person who holds it.  Public offices vest the holders with responsibility to the entire community.  Fulfilling that responsibility involves hard work.   Put another way, it's put up or shut up time.   

Amazing2Me2

Re: Paige, real estates license, steel mill
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 10:34:17 AM »
If the mill remains idle, I like many would love to see something done with it. However, it would require a developer with lots of money to gamble on Georgetown which never happened during past closures. Has CSX agreed to shutdown the railroad going through the property? Has State Ports agreed to give up the waterfront?