Author Topic: Will SCDOT enforce the law at Pawleys Island  (Read 3750 times)

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
    • Marty Tennant the PC Doctor
Will SCDOT enforce the law at Pawleys Island
« on: August 15, 2006, 11:21:27 AM »
I've had the occassion recently to notice that the fine folks at Pawleys Island seem to think the state right of way is their own private property and have started putting up barriers to people parking off the road.  Stakes, poles, etc., with ropes to keep cars from "their property".  Flower beds with railroad ties, you name it.

In the interest of maximizing the available car spots for the visitors that come to Pawleys and find all the public access slots taken, I called Richard Pope with the DOT this morning and complained.

Let's see what, if anything, is done by the State to assert authority over their property.
Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.

Re: Will SCDOT enforce the law at Pawleys Island
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 08:24:42 PM »
They plant flowers a bushes on land they don't own to keep people that don't live there out. I will also call and complain. If you park over the line you get a $200 ticket. Every year there are less places to park. The state need to take back the access property that was stolen by these property owners. Good point Marty!!!

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 08:55:57 PM »
The number to call is 546-2405.  Ask for Richard Pope.
Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.

Illegal parker

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 09:08:49 PM »
I think the town of Pawleys Island should drag them all into court and fine them thousands of dollars. There is precidence here.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 10:33:55 AM »
I saw some changes there this morning.  I have a call into Mr. Pope on this matter now and will let you know what I find out.  If you notice carefully, there are concrete posts sticking out of the ground on Pawleys that have M/V on them.  Anyone know what they are?  They seem to indicate property boundaries.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 11:32:33 AM »
M/V stands for "main valve" for water mains.

If you see anything beyond them, then you probably have a right of way violation.

Richard has done nothing yet.  Be sure to call him to keep the heat on.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 05:04:29 PM »
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17105184&BRD=2081&PAG=461&dept_id=385210&rfi=6

Jesse sees fit to discuss the issue I raised here in the paper yesterday.

I wonder where he got his impetus?  Will he investigate to see if violations of law are corrected?

I followed up with Mr. Pope.  He is taking small steps to resolve some of the more blatant violations, but will probably need to have a constant fire under him.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 05:09:22 PM by Marty Tennant »

Ellie

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 09:59:08 AM »
I am new here and a little late on this post, I really like this board.

If tax payers don't have reasonable access to the beach there, then ZERO tax  dollars should go toward renourishment of that beach. Then after a few years they won't have a yard to worry about.  :D

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 10:04:42 PM »
Welcome Ellie.  Glad to have you here.  Please observe and post as you see fit.  Please call Richard Pope and let him know what you think about the issue.