Author Topic: Judges and Winyah Indigo Society  (Read 12902 times)

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
    • Marty Tennant the PC Doctor
Judges and Winyah Indigo Society
« on: December 06, 2006, 07:50:54 AM »
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/sunnews/16174377.htm

Race and gender discrimination in club membership not allowed for judges?

Ask Robbie O'Donnell if he's given up his membership.  I don't think so.

DUI?  Oh my.

Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.

Give me a Break

Re: Judges and Winyah Indigo Society
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 08:03:48 AM »
I thing Crosby would make a great judge. If we all have to be accountable as 40-year-olds for little things we did when we were teenagers none of us would have a job. Making an issue out of that is just plain stipd on behalf of the panel. If he did it after he was 21, yes, I would say that would be different. But for god's sake I can't name a teen who hasn't tried alcohol by the time they were 18. he got caught and others didn't. I say give him the judgeship.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 08:26:49 AM »
The way the article was written and headlined, it was all about Goude.  That was wrong.

I care less about an 18 year old kids indiscretions, but would you like to address the Indigo Society issue?
Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.

go joe

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 08:33:35 AM »
I say the society is a private organization and hasa  rihgt to operate any way it chooses. How about the Masters Ckub in Augsta? Yes, if the rules say Crosby would have to resign from such a club to be a judge, he should resign if he wants the job. But I have no problem with all mens clubs, all womens clubs ior whatever as long as they are private and not supported by tax $$.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 08:42:11 AM »
Ok, what about O'Donnell?  Should he resign immediately?

go joe

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 08:50:55 AM »
no. i really don't have a problem with family court judges belonging to such groups but that is the state rule aparently so joe will have to abide by it. Aparently it is not a city rule for its judges so as long as odonnel is not breaking any laws i say he is doing nothing wrong.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 08:53:36 AM »
All judges abide by the same rules.  They are state rules of conduct for judges, not city. 

Now, please answer the question.

go joe

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 08:55:47 AM »
I did answer. I said "NO". I know you hate O'Dpnnell and had an orgasm when you read that this morning but IN MY OPINION the answer is no. I know that is not the answer you wanted but it is my opinion. Quit your usual lying by saying I didn;t answer.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 09:20:12 AM »
Hey asshole, you never did say what you say.  Keep up your lies and you'll be booted.

afdip

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 10:20:11 AM »
i thought gojo(e) was a hand cleaner.

Georgetown is corrupt

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 11:16:47 AM »
Just more proof that Georgetown County and city are corruption hotbeds. Odonnell is allowed to break the law and yet he sends people to jail? Now about that DUI. Heck we have a sitting councilman who has a DUI conviction and another with a lot worse. If my memory serves me correctly Odonell represented a county councilman that had illigetimate kids and refused to pay child support.

Ilya Kuryakin

• Pro-management union buster
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 11:24:39 AM »
Afdip- I'm kind of partial to the orange scented GoJo with grit.  It really gets my hands clean after a long day of work.

Concerning the Indigo Society membership and its potential as a disqualifier for a bench candidate:  I don't like it at all.  I realize the potential for impropriety, but I've failed to notice its appearance or existence.  

Mr. Crosby is an honorable, family man, an ethical attorney (a true rarity), and a fun guy to hang out with.  I've observed his public and private behavior for years.  Both are exemplary and many of our local officials would do well to emulate them.

I've never met Mr. Goude.  His printed record is impressive.

MoJo

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 01:28:11 PM »
The four lawyers are competing to replace Judge Tez Bonnoitt and it seems that some do not like Winyah Indigo Society... probably because you're not a member nor were considered for membership.  However, to the best of my knowledge Bonnoitt is still a member.

Chaotic Life

• Sometimes life hits you hard...
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 02:57:12 PM »
Quick question.  How do we find out who are the members of the Winyah Indigo Society?

As for the rest of the article, the one thing that struck me was Anita Floyd.  Who is she?  I know the rest, but her name is failing to fall into my brain at this time.
Oh blah dee....

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 04:04:09 PM »
Private society.  Ask a member.  Otherwise, not public info.

Anita?  Never heard of her.

Joe Crosby?  First class guy, but the rules of judicial conduct must be obeyed, per the panel reviewing his qualifications.

Do the judges around here care about any of this?  Apparently not, as I'd bet you every Georgetown white male judge for the last 250 years has been a member.

Am I jealous?  No.  I wouldn't want to join any club that would have me as a member. (Woody Allen???)

Ilya Kuryakin

• Pro-management union buster
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 04:47:47 PM »
The original quote is attributed to Groucho Marx, Sir.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 10:29:59 PM »
Thanks Jack!

More info here. 

http://www.topix.net/content/kri/3914093670094510489138381550662025192477

I know Martha Hamel and wish she were running.  She is A1 in my book.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 11:03:48 PM »
Source is SC Supreme Court website, tinyurl below.

http://tinyurl.com/v4acv

C. A judge shall not hold membership in any organization that practices invidious discrimination on the basis of race, sex, religion or national origin.

Commentary:

Membership of a judge in an organization that practices invidious discrimination gives rise to perceptions that the judge's impartiality is impaired. Section 2C refers to the current practices of the organization. Whether an organization practices invidious discrimination is often a complex question to which judges should be sensitive. The answer cannot be determined from a mere examination of an organization's current membership rolls but rather depends on how the organization selects members and other relevant factors, such as that the organization is dedicated to the preservation of religious, ethnic or cultural values of legitimate common interest to its members, or that it is in fact and effect an intimate, purely private organization whose membership limitations could not be constitutionally prohibited. Absent such factors, an organization is generally said to discriminate invidiously if it arbitrarily excludes from membership on the basis of race, religion, sex or national origin persons who would otherwise be admitted to membership. See New York State Club Ass'n. Inc. v. City of New York, 487 U.S. 1, 108 S.Ct. 2225, 101 L.Ed.2d 1 (1988); Board of Directors of Rotary International v. Rotary Club of Duarte, 481 U.S. 537, 107 S.Ct. 1940, 95 L.Ed.2d 474 (1987); Roberts v. United States Jaycees, 468 U.S. 609, 104 S.Ct. 3244, 82 L.Ed.2d 462 (1984).

An organization dedicated to the preservation of religious, spiritual, charitable, civic or cultural values, or a sororal, fraternal, alumni, or other college, university or school related organization, is not considered to discriminate invidiously if it does not stigmatize any excluded persons as inferior and therefore unworthy of membership.

Although Section 2C relates only to membership in organizations that invidiously discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion or national origin, a judge's membership in an organization that engages in any discriminatory membership practices prohibited by the law of the jurisdiction also violates Canon 2 and Section 2A and gives the appearance of impropriety. In addition, it would be a violation of Canon 2 and Section 2A for a judge to arrange a meeting at a club that the judge knows practices invidious discrimination on the basis of race, sex, religion or national origin in its membership or other policies, or for the judge to regularly use such a club. Moreover, public manifestation by a judge of the judge's knowing approval of invidious discrimination on any basis gives the appearance of impropriety under Canon 2 and diminishes public confidence in the integrity and impartiality of the judiciary, in violation of Section 2A.

When a person who is a judge on the date this Code becomes effective learns that an organization to which the judge belongs engages in invidious discrimination that would preclude membership under Section 2C or under Canon 2 and Section 2A, the judge is permitted, in lieu of resigning, to make immediate efforts to have the organization discontinue its invidiously discriminatory practices, but is required to suspend participation in any other activities of the organization. If the organization fails to discontinue its invidiously discriminatory practices as promptly as possible (and in all events within a year of the judge's first learning of the practices), the judge is required to resign immediately from the organization.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 11:05:33 PM by Marty Tennant »

Attenttion Scott Harper

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2006, 12:20:00 PM »
Maybe the city beat reporter (SCOTT HAPLESS) can do a story about how the city judge is not obeying the state law and is a member of a group that discriminates? Well Scott? We are waiting.

Bonnie

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2006, 10:53:47 PM »
Hey **, why not call hm and ask him?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 11:18:44 PM by Jack Aubrey »

Truth seeker

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 07:41:12 AM »
Why should we have to call and ask Scott Harper to do his job Bonnie?
Scott took a story from the old Cops website and quoted them and wrote a story about a lie told about Jeanette Ard. So why won't Scott take the true information here and do a story about Robbie violating state law? Well? Bonnie? We're waiting.

JAIAW

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 08:49:28 AM »
The stuff about Jeanette Ard was true. She is a total loon.

Bonnie

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2006, 09:27:35 AM »
I see my post was edited. That's why this place is a joke. I see name calling is allowed all over this board, but I put an initial and-POOF-it's gone. As an example, the post right before mine was a name-calling post. I don't think there is anyone named Hapless.
But, I digress. My point is that you should call and talk to them and then let us know what they say. That way we will know if they are intersted or not.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2006, 10:54:08 AM »
Were you trying in a slick backdoor way to identify a previous poster?

If so, the edit was appropriate.

Still seeking the truth

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2006, 04:01:01 PM »
I see my post was edited. That's why this place is a joke.My point is that you should call and talk to them and then let us know what they say. That way we will know if they are intersted or not.

Hey Bonnie why should we have to call Scott Harper and ask him to do his job? He used the cops site as a source for a story that was denied as false. Why can't he use this board as the source and just do the story about Robbie breaking the law?

Bonnie

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2006, 05:17:31 PM »
OK. Thank God I used to be an elementary school teacher because I see I have to talk to you people like 6 year old children since you either can't understand adult conversation or are so full of hate that you want to twist everything around.
What I said was you should call him, talk to him and then tell us what he says so we can know if the paper is interested or not. It really is no big deal to me. I think Robbie is a great guy.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2006, 06:32:35 PM »
Then you obviously don't know the real Robbie O'Donnell.  Do yourself a favor and never find yourself in front of him at his "place of business".  He sucks big time as a judge in my opinion.

r u stupid?

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2006, 07:25:37 PM »
Hey Marty, are you that stupid? Don't you still have to go in front of Robbie? Only a stupid moron would publicly call a judge names before he has to stand in front of him. Of course, maybe you are one, I don't know.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 11:00:21 PM by Marty Tennant »

Agree with RU

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2006, 07:54:17 PM »
 Robbie (or any judge for that matter) can make your life a much bigger hell than you can make his. Maybe you should get a real attorney this time.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2006, 08:14:13 PM »
Hey assholes, I don't give a rip.  The charges are bogus and O'Donnell sucks.

Are you a bunch of wimp pussies or men?  Do you live life in the corner scared or in the open proud?

Proud

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2006, 09:22:18 PM »
You can live proudly in the open without being stupid, a concept you have yet tp grasp.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2006, 10:16:26 PM »
I don't call standing up for your rights and exposing corruption stupid.

People like you that cower in the corner afraid of doing anything when you see it are stupid.

And your name was what ? ? ?, you anonymous COWARD!

Chaotic Life

• Sometimes life hits you hard...
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2006, 10:32:47 PM »
Now, now....  Let's take a step back and breathe.

Bonnie, yes there are several here that are angry and complain about every single thing under the sun but they refuse to do anything more but complain.  Yes, it does make sense to call (not just Scott, but any reporter) and ask about a topic that you think is important.  There are quite a few Scott haters here, I am not one of them. 

Marty, I am going to assume that you are having a bad day.  You cannot freely welcome anonymous posts and then landblast someone for posting as such.  Not every one hates Robbie O'Donnell.  There are two sides to every face, professional and personal.  Personally, I do not think he is that bad of a guy, professionally, I don't want to go before him on my best day.  The same can be said of many, many judges.  You also do not know who the posters are, therefore you cannot say that they are "wimp pussies" or cowering corner lovers.  You cannot assume that any of us here are such. 

Get back to the topic guys.   ;) Boy I feel like a mama right now!  Don't make me get the belt!
Oh blah dee....

Anonymous Coward

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2006, 11:34:21 PM »
Marty loves biting the hand that feeds him. If it weren't for us anonymous cowards he would have no board.

Bonnie

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2006, 08:00:42 AM »
If Robbie had found in your favor in your cases, you would be singing a different tune. I know you have a bias because of the way he has ruled, so that needs to be noted so that people who read your opinion will be fully informed. I still say Robbie is a great guy and a fair judge.

Marty Tennant

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2006, 08:58:59 AM »
You don't know enough details to say boo.

not blissful

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2006, 09:15:26 AM »
Or, as they say, ignorance is bliss.   :o

Hanging on

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2006, 09:46:45 PM »
Has anyone filed a complaint against Robbie yet?

Where is Jessie?

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2006, 01:38:16 PM »
I guess no one had the balls to file a complaint.

After reading Jessie Tooloose's whine in the paper today you would think he and the paper would have filed. They did such a great job on the school board to hear Jessie talk. What a load of crap Jessie and that paper are.