The Citizens' Report
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2019, 08:58:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25249 Posts in 4024 Topics by 320 Members
Latest Member: SMW
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The Citizens' Report
|-+  South Carolina
| |-+  Georgetown County SC
| | |-+  Politics and Current Events
| | | |-+  the new citizens report
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: the new citizens report  (Read 12072 times)
afdip

« on: July 10, 2006, 04:21:13 PM »

okay, afdip and marty are here and jack aubrey just sailed in . . . maybe now we can have some serious/cereal/serial dialogue.   remember, here you don't have to push one for english -- but you should also be able to use english with some modicum of competency, or else we tell the turkish & russian hackers where you live.
Ilya Kuryakin
Pro-management union buster
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 04:35:37 PM »

I will do my best to avoid the slavic cereal killers (requiescat in pace Capt. Crunch). 
Marty Tennant
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 04:36:45 PM »

Ok guys, I think the new software has a built-in spelling checker.  I'll see if I turned it on.  Perhaps this will help us ALL (that includes me).

Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.
Ilya Kuryakin
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 04:41:29 PM »

I never spelled to good.  Maybe the automatic checker will help me two.  Is their a grammar checker?  Just one more French benefit of being registered at Citizens' Rapport.
Surfer

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 09:22:47 PM »

Don't you boys worry your pretty little heads 'bout it...Surfer will spell check for ya...

Let's see: Monday night, 9 PM, and already you have exceeded the most recent SYITF site estimate of your purported multiple identities...Marty, good going! Heh-heh...

And lots of good luck to the self-possessed who post here regularly!
Ilya Kuryakin
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 10:39:56 PM »

Purported multiple identities?  There's only one Jack Aubrey in this town, and I'm he.  Are you sure you're the real Surfer?  I met the real Surfer at Sandy Island a couple years ago, and she looked pretty good in a bikini.  She drank all my beer and stole my Zappa tapes too.
Guest/akaSurfer
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 08:41:33 AM »

Sorry, Jack...back off, <i>por favor</i>...

That comment was directed at Marty, as you may have been able to surmise by continuing to read the entire paragraph...

You sure you weren't referring to our meeting back in 1965? That's the last time I was seen in public in a bikini...(Our Constitutional prohibition against "cruel and unusual punishment" and all that, you know!)
Ilya Kuryakin
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 09:45:31 AM »

Sorry, didn't mean to sound that way.  I'm new to this whole message board thing and will remember to mind my manners.  And I'm sure you still look just fine.
Surfer

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 06:17:57 PM »

Wow, Capt. Jack!

Quite an honor to have Russell Crowe play your lead in "Master and Commander"!

afdip

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 07:23:57 PM »

i knew you'd figure it out, surfer.  oh, and jack, was that manners or mariners you are minding?
Ilya Kuryakin
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 10:09:24 PM »

i knew you'd figure it out, surfer.  oh, and jack, was that manners or mariners you are minding?

Any sailors serving in my command were so well trained that they needed no minding. 

So, how about this whole, new Citizens' Report?  Who loves the new format as much as I do?
Scooter
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 08:49:43 AM »

Jack, why do you insist on having that photo with your name?  Are you a Jackson/Sheehan/Democrat lover?   Roll Eyes
Ilya Kuryakin
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 09:07:37 AM »

I use that photo to get other posters to ask me about it.  Seems pretty effective.

I am certainly not a lover of the "Reverend" Jesse Jackson, Mrs. Sheehan, or democrats in general.  I do, however, respect their right to an opinion, no matter how misguided.  They're people too.
afdip

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 02:25:13 PM »

i don't have much use for jesse jackson either, but cindy sheehan and her son casey have made much greater sacrifices for this country than a vast majority of republicans who find them objectionable.  the 2530+ american troops and their families have every right to know more about why their sons, daughters, husbands, wives & parents died in iraq than the standard pap this administration spins . . . if they don't have the right to ask, who does??  of course the republicans believe that the act of asking is unpatriotic in and of itself, nay, even treasonous.
Ilya Kuryakin
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 02:44:27 PM »

They have the right to ask, and so do you.  I do not have your answer.  I don't really support the war or the foreign policies of the current administration, but I definitely support any American in uniform.  Mrs. Sheehan is an understandably grieving mother whose 15 minutes were up about six months ago.  I look forward to the time when people ask Cindy who?  I salute her son and his sacrifice for our great nation.  Please keep in mind that he volunteered for service and swore an oath to obey the orders of the officers appointed above him.  He willingly risked his life, and lost.
afdip

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 04:33:49 PM »

that "fifteen minutes of fame" is pure bilge.  she's a grieving mother and, as many have noted over the years, if it is really grief, it is always there.  who are any of us to intimate that she has had her moment of public grief and now she needs to retire quietly to a corner somewhere??  people manifest grief in many ways.  some choose to project that stiff upper lip and convince themselves that their loved one died for something that our leaders, in all their wisdom, deemed "the cause."  others recognize the "old lie," as wilfred owen put it many years ago, "dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori."
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 05:20:49 PM »

Mrs. Sheehan has never ordered the marker for her son,s grave. She is too busy enjoying her new found fame.  She has also never visited her son"s grave or had anything to do with him in years. Afdip, you can get glass's if your eyes go bad and also get a hearing aid if your hearing fails but you can,t fix "STUPID"
Ilya Kuryakin
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 05:23:30 PM »

Characteristically impressive rhetoric from a fellow veteran (afdip).  Concerning the classification of my opinion as "bilge"-  I will endeavor to show you the same level of respect in the future, Sir.

I think we both know that Mrs. Sheehan's way too public mourning has less to do with soothing her pain and more to do with the DNC's shameless use of her to emphasize the unpopularity of the war during an election year.  After all, who on the Right would dare criticize a grieving mother?
afdip

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 05:50:49 PM »

ann coulter?  or was that rhetorical . . . my reference to bilge was purely to keep things in the nautical lexicon.  as for the guest who stands watch on casey sheehan's lonely grave and carries a chalkboard so they can mark down the number of times (and names) of visitors, i wouldn't believe all i heard on the rightwing pundit tour if i were you.  i haven't checked my va death benefits, but i thought a headstone was one of the things our beneficent government  provided when someone is kia.
Ilya Kuryakin
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 05:58:26 PM »

Ann Coulter?  What's she got to do with this?
Marty Tennant
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 06:22:02 PM »

Gentlemen.  We are off topic.  Please start another thread on the war.  I see where Cindy and the Rev. are now MIA, replaced by another curious icon.  Jack changes before our very eyes.

Notice:  All posts made by me are my OPINION.  I am not responsible for any comments by others!  The Citizens' Report is provided as a public service to the citizens of Georgetown County for them to report and comment on the news.
Ilya Kuryakin
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 07:15:29 PM »

I'm always changing, just like the Citizens' Report.  The avatar was obviously a lightning rod for Howard Dean disciples so it had to go.

So how 'bout this cool, new message board format?
Marty Tennant
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006, 07:57:10 PM »

I like it.  Neat and clean.  New customizations.  Secure.  Works for me.

afdip

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2006, 08:06:50 PM »

since you asked "who on the Right would dare criticize a grieving mother?" i thought i would give you the most obvious answer.   as for where the thread was going, i made no mention of your avatar until it appeared in the thread from one of your questionable political allies.  personally, i find your posts to be both humorous and reasonable -- unlike many -- and i enjoy them.
Ilya Kuryakin
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2006, 09:26:19 PM »

Thanks for the clarification afdip.  I thought you were comparing my words to those of Ann Coulter, who has recently been accused of plagiarism.  While I find her views refreshing, she's too skinny and she comes across as a little too aggressive for my taste.  I want to buy her a good meal and taint it with a crushed alprazolam tablet.

Thanks for the compliment about my posts.  I find your posts enjoyable as well, especially here on the NEW CITIZENS' REPORT. 

That was a shameless plug to avoid any complaints about being off topic.
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2006, 05:12:15 PM »

>
>
>Ever  wonder what the expression "stuck on stupid" meant?
>
>Well  here is an example:
>
>
>
>
>
>The grinning  idiot clinging to Je$$e Jack$on is Cindy Sheehan... the sob
>sister pro! testing the war at Bush's ranch, who lost her son in the  war,
>the
>same son she gave up in her divorce when he was 7 years old.
>
>And  by the way if you wonder why she has so much free time ... she is
>going
>through  another divorce right now and guess what?  She is giving up
>custody
>of  another son.
>
>As  Forest Gump  once wisely proclaimed, "Stupid is as stupid does."
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>What  Is This Picture?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Obviously, it's a picture in a cemetery.  What  cemetery and whose  grave?
>
>Sadly, it's the grave of Casey  Sheehan.  After two years, and a DoD
>payment
>of $250,000 to the  "Peace  Mom", Cindy Sheehan has not had the time or
>bothered to have a  headstone  placed on this young hero's grave.  And, she
>doesn't
>even  have to pay for  one, the DoD will provide  one:
>
>"The Department of Veterans  Affairs (VA)  fur! nishes upon request, at no
>charge to the applicant, a  government  headstone or marker for the grave
>of any
>deceased eligible veteran  in any  cemetery around the world . For all
>deaths
>occurring before September  11,  2001, the VA may provide a headstone or
>marker only for graves that are  not marked with a private  headstone.
>
>Flat markers in granite, marble,  and bronze and  upright headstones in
>granite and marble are available. The  style chosen  must be consistent
>with
>existing monuments at the place of  burial. Niche  markers are also
>available to
>mark columbaria used for internment  of  cremated remains."
>
>Apparently she can find time to  protest on at  least 3 continents, get
>arrested various times, go on  vacation in Hawaii, have photo ops with the
>Marxists
>in Venezuela, but can't  seem to find the time to properly ! mark her son's
>grave.
>
>
>
>Please DO  pass this one along.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

afdip

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2006, 05:23:14 PM »

another prime example of the "i read it on the internet so it must be true" mentality.  next thing you'll be claiming she traded in her son for fame . . . oh, i guess you're aleady saying that.  keep reading the internet pundits and websites and remember:  it's all true.
Ilya Kuryakin
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2006, 06:26:10 PM »

In "Guest"'s defense, I did see the same thing in the National Enquirer.
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2006, 03:40:50 AM »

Now afdip you liberals are  myrmidon's of the media. "Oh" if its not printed by the New York Times it can't be true. Some where over the rainbow and far away there is a brain waiting for you. See the wizard.
Karmapolice
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2006, 02:46:58 PM »

There's a headstone on Casey Sheehan's grave.

ttp://209.157.64.201/focus/f-news/1639538/posts
karmapolice
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2006, 02:52:55 PM »

Sorry - I left out part of the link

http://209.157.64.201/focus/f-news/1639538/posts

And it's from Free Republic, so it must be true.
afdip

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2006, 06:47:29 PM »

ah, karmapolice, shining the light of truth on republican (or democrat) lies will not make you popular here in bubbaville on winyah bay . . . .many of the residents here reside so-o-o-o far from the truth, well, you know how they say, "you can't get there from here?"  welcome to the citizensreport if you are new.
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2006, 07:03:54 PM »

Only afdip knows the truth!!!!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: